Profile

Cover photo
Geoff Ritchie
10 followers|19,798,029 views
AboutPostsPhotosVideos

Stream

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Bellkirk, Hobart
An impressive Colonial townhouse, this stone building of two storeys, Bellkirk,  was built as the manse for the nearby Presbyterian church of Saint John. The original front garden has now been given over to a bitumen carpark. The property name could be pun ...
An impressive Colonial townhouse, this stone building of two storeys, Bellkirk, was built as the manse for the nearby Presbyterian church of Saint John. The original front garden has now been given over to a bitumen carpark...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Low Head Lighthouse
The Low Head Light Station was established in 1833. The original lighthouse was the second lighthouse in Tasmania and the third in Australia. The Light Station has been developed over a period of 170 years and includes a suite of buildings including the lig...
The Low Head Light Station was established in 1833. The original lighthouse was the second lighthouse in Tasmania and the third in Australia. The Light Station has been developed over a period of 170 years and includes a suit...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Hobart Synagogue
The unique appearance of the Hobart Synagogue is truly remarkable as it the oldest synagogue in Australia and is also a very rare example of a style of architecture known as Egyptian Revival. Prior to the design and erection of their synagogue, the Hebrew r...
The unique appearance of the Hobart Synagogue is truly remarkable as it the oldest synagogue in Australia and is also a very rare example of a style of architecture known as Egyptian Revival. Prior to the design and erect...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Pubs of the Goulburn St & Barrack St Intersection, Hobart
Here is something a little different to usual that I discovered whilst reading through one of noted Hobart historian Donald Howatson’s sensational books about the backgrounds of many of the streets across Hobart, Bellerive & Battery Point. They are well wor...
Here is something a little different to usual that I discovered whilst reading through one of noted Hobart historian Donald Howatson’s sensational books about the backgrounds of many of the streets across Hobart, Bellerive & ...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Glenora, Hobart
In 1836, a windmill was built by William McRobie which was adjacent to the former Trinity burial ground which was located at the upper end of Campbell Street. The windmill was purchased by George Arnold in c1870, who then converted the site into a biscuit f...
In 1836, a windmill was built by William McRobie which was adjacent to the former Trinity burial ground which was located at the upper end of Campbell Street. The windmill was purchased by George Arnold in c1870, who then con...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Denison Canal, Dunalley
The Denison Canal is the only purpose built sea canal in Australia. When the famed colonial explorer, Captain James Kelly, was undertaking his 1815 circumnavigation & mapping of much of the Van Diemen’s Land coastline, he had to have his small sailing vesse...
The Denison Canal is the only purpose built sea canal in Australia. When the famed colonial explorer, Captain James Kelly, was undertaking his 1815 circumnavigation & mapping of much of the Van Diemen’s Land coastline, he had...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Auld Kirk, Sidmouth
The West Tamar Presbyterian Church,
commonly referred to as the Auld Kirk (Scots for old church and 'Kirk' itself
is a medieval word (I t was introduced to  Scotland  by Viking settlers)  and meant 'church' in Old Norse. This beautiful little church  is sit...
The West Tamar Presbyterian Church, commonly referred to as the Auld Kirk (Scots for old church and 'Kirk' itself is a medieval word (It was introduced to Scotland by Viking settlers) and meant 'church' in Old Norse. This bea...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Old Wool Factory, Hobart
In 1869, the Tasmanian Government had made an bonus offer of 1000 pounds for the first firm that was to make sales of 1000 pounds of woolen goods that were manufactured in Tasmania from Tasmanian grown wool. The bonus appears to have been widely promoted an...
In 1869, the Tasmanian Government had made an bonus offer of 1000 pounds for the first firm that was to make sales of 1000 pounds of woolen goods that were manufactured in Tasmania from Tasmanian grown wool. The bonus app...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
St Peter's Church, Oatlands
As far back as 1827 Archdeacon Scott, at the Instigation of Thomas Anstey, Police Magistrate of Oatlands, had applied to the Government for appointment of a catechist to represent the Church of England at Oatlands, and for help in erecting a log building fo...
As far back as 1827 Archdeacon Scott, at the Instigation of Thomas Anstey, Police Magistrate of Oatlands, had applied to the Government for appointment of a catechist to represent the Church of England at Oatlands, and for he...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Launceston Customs House
The substantial customs house was built in 1885 by J & T Gunn at a cost of 9,500 pounds. Custom House, with its elegant portico and Corinthian columns and its overall size is indicative of Launceston’s importance as a port at the time and this building once...
The substantial customs house was built in 1885 by J & T Gunn at a cost of 9,500 pounds. Custom House, with its elegant portico and Corinthian columns and its overall size is indicative of Launceston’s importance as a port at...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
Junior Medical Officer's House, Port Arthur
The Junior Medical Officer’s House was originally built in 1848 for Commissariat officer Thomas James Lempriere, his wife Charlotte and their large family. They had previously been living in a condemned wooden cottage situated below the ruin of the hospital...
The Junior Medical Officer’s House was originally built in 1848 for Commissariat officer Thomas James Lempriere, his wife Charlotte and their large family. They had previously been living in a condemned wooden cottage situate...
1
Add a comment...

Geoff Ritchie

Shared publicly  - 
 
St Michael's & All Angels Church, Bothwell
Located at the corner of Patrick Street and Market Place is St Michael and All Angels church which was built in 1891 by the stonemason Thomas Lewis using local stone. You can enter the church and admire Lewis's particularly beautiful stone staircase and the...
Located at the corner of Patrick Street and Market Place is St Michael and All Angels church which was built in 1891 by the stonemason Thomas Lewis using local stone. You can enter the church and admire Lewis's particularly b...
1
Add a comment...
Basic Information
Gender
Male
Links