Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Laos Simply Beautiful
272 followers -
Laos Tourism Marketing Department (Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism)
Laos Tourism Marketing Department (Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism)

272 followers
About
Laos Simply Beautiful's posts

Post has attachment

Post has attachment
WAT PHOU CHAMPASACK
The Wat Phou temple complex is one of Southeast Asia’s best examples of both early and classic Khmer architecture dating from the 7th to 12th centuries. This UNESCO World Heritage Site includes the ancient city of Shestrapura and many little known but interesting archeological sites along the banks of the Mekong River. There are also many fine examples of traditional Lao homes and buildings from the colonial period. If you are in Champasack during February, don't miss the Wat Phou Festival.
Photo

Post has attachment
TAD CHAMPI
Less frequented than the other main waterfall attractions on the Plateau, Tad Champi waterfall offers a quiet and peaceful retreat into nature, suitable for picnicking or quiet meditation. A path to the left of the parking lot can be followed down to the edge of the stream (watch your step on the handcrafted stairway), where you can relax on either long wooden benches or on its natural round boulders.
http://www.tourismlaos.org/show_province.php?Cont_ID=767
Photo

Post has attachment
WAT XIENG THONG
Built during the 16th Century by King Saysetthathirath, Wat Xieng Thong temple is one of the most interesting examples of Buddhist art and architecture in Luang Prabang and arguably one of the most beautiful temples in Asia. The ornate carved and gilded funeral vehicle of the former king is kept in one of the buildings in the temple grounds. This temple was used for the most important royal ceremonies and houses the bones of King Sisavangvong.
http://www.tourismlaos.org/show_province.php?Cont_ID=918
Photo

Post has attachment
SISAKET TEMPLE
The only ancient temple remaining intact after the defeat of the Siamese in 1828. It’s located in the center of the old city, where it was built in 1818 by King Anouvong. The old monastery stands intact in its original form and is certainly one of the most interesting in the country. Inside the main hall, the courtyard walls house hundreds of little shelves containing a total of 6,840 Buddha images.
http://tourismlaos.org/show_province.php?Cont_ID=782
Photo

Post has attachment
THAT FOUN STUPA
Located in downtown Muang Khoun, That Foun was built in 1576 the same time as the original That Luang stupa in Vientiane Capital. The stupa was erected to cover ashes of Lord Buddha that were brought from India. During a time when Buddhism was proliferating Laos. That Foun was destroyed by air craft in 1966 during the war.
Photo

Post has attachment
THAT DAM (BLACK STUPA)
That Dam or Black Stupa in Vientiane Capital is one of the few ancient stupas that remains after the Siamese occupation in the 17th century. It is located in the center of the town and has become one of the most popular city landmarks. It is quite an interesting sight in the middle of what is quickly becoming a modern city. Since it has not undergone any renovation, vegetation has started to grow out of it which adds to its charm. According to legend, the Black Stupa was built in the 16th century and it is believed to be the home of the seven-headed dragon that struggled to protect Vientiane, her people, and the entire kingdom from Siamese invaders in 1827.
http://tourismlaos.org/show_province.php?Cont_ID=790
Photo

Post has attachment
CHAO FA NGUM STATUE
The statue of King Fa Ngum with a small army of 3 elephants will welcome you to Vientiane, Laos. The statue was erected in 2003 to commemorate King Fa Ngum and the establishment of the Kingdom of Lane Xang in the 14th century. Being one of Vientiane’s popular landmarks, it has been a place where Lao people gather and meet. In 1353, Chao Fa Ngum (King Fa Ngum) founded Lane Xang Hom Khao or also known as Kingdom of a Million Elephants and the White Parasol. According to the legend King Fa Ngum was the last son of Chao Fa Ngiew and was born with 33 teeth in 1316. For this reason or some other non specified reason, the baby prince was banished and rafted downstream the Mekong River to the Khmer Kingdom of Angkor where he grew up and married a Khmer princess. In 1350-1353, with the support of Khmer Kingdom of Angkor, Fa Ngum returned to Xieng Thong to assemble an army and unified small villages to establish the Lane Xang Kingdom. He reigned as King until 1372.
http://tourismlaos.org/show_province.php?Cont_ID=778
Photo

Post has attachment
XIENG KHOUAN BUDDHA PARK
The Xieng Khouan Buddha Park was built in 1958 and contains a collection of Buddhist and Hindu sculptures, scattered amongst gardens and trees. Built about 28 kilometers south of Vientiane at the edge of the Mekong River, the town of Nong Khai in neighboring Thailand can be seen on the opposite side.
http://tourismlaos.org/show_province.php?Cont_ID=787
Photo

Post has attachment
WAT SIMUANG TEMPLE
The original city pillar of Vientiane is found in Wat Simuang located in Ban Simuang village along Setthathirath Road. It was built in the 1956 and is believed to be guarded by the spirit of a local girl called “ Si ” Local legend has it that Nang Si, who was pregnant at the time, leapt to her death as a sacrifice, just as the pillar was being lowered into the hole. A very colorful Phasat Pheung (wax pavilion procession) attracts large crowds to Wat Simuang temple, taking place just two days prior to the That Luang Festival in November.
Photo
Wait while more posts are being loaded