- SouterMedia.ComJournalist and Broadcaster, 1989 - present
- Royal NavyMedia Relations Officer, 1970 - 2008
- BBCSenior Broadcast Journalist, 1980 - 1989
- Radio ClydeJournalist, 1977 - 1980
Mike Souter has been a working journalist since he started writing in 1968 for the Kirkintilloch Herald, part of the Johnson Newspaper Group, while still at school in his native Scotland.
After working in print journalism with the Evening Citizen and Scottish Daily Express, he spent time in the newsrooms of UK commercial radio, including Radio Victory, Radio Forth and Radio Clyde.In 1980, he joined the BBC as a reporter, progressing through the ranks of journalism in radio and TV within the corporation to become a senior broadcast journalist.
He later specialised in current affairs programme presentation, becoming an accomplished breakfast show and drivetime presenter and interviewer.
He went freelance in 1989, setting up his own media consultancy, SouterMedia.Com.
In recent years, he has specialised in travel writing and broadcasting and regularly writes for major newspaper and magazine groups including Archant and Johnson Press. He also contributes material to guide books such as Rough Guides and Lonely Planet.
He is also a regular commentator on the subject of travel on radio and television.
- Lenzie Primary1958 - 1965
- Lenzie Academy1965 - 1970
- BRNC Dartmouth1970 - 1973
- University of GlasgowTeaching of English as a Foreign Language, 2005 - 2005
- University of CambridgeEnglish, 1970 - 1973