Strategies to overcome CO2 emission from cement factories
Carbon dioxide is the most important and abundant gas among all GHGs which have the highest contribution in global warming phenomenon. Thus, finding promising approaches to mitigate CO2 emissions is our priority to subside the threat of climate change. Almost 61% of global Co2 emissions are induced by industrial activities like electricity generation, cement manufacturing and other industries. Such practices are showing significant impact on climate change.
Cement manufacturing is considered to be one of the highest carbon dioxide emitting industries in the world. The process emits around 900 kg of CO2 for every ton of cement produced which constitutes approximately 5-7% of the global anthropogenic carbon dioxide emission. During the cement production process, CO2 is emitted by four different sources. Combustion of fossil fuel in pyro-processing unit produces 40% of total emissions, while another 10% is in result of raw materials transportation and electricity generating consumed by electrical motors and facilities. The rest which contributes the highest proportion of emissions (almost 50%) is released during decomposition of CaCO3 and MgCO3 to produce CaO and MgO as the elementary chemical reactions in the process. Additionally, there are many major and minor technical and management problems which can influence plant performance requiring additional fuel and electricity consumption. These additional consumptions can lead to significant thermal waste and, in consequence, remarkable extra CO2 emissions.
Navrattan Cement has come-up with an innovative solution to reduce the production of carbon –dioxide and promote sustainability. The cement can simply be manufactured in a laboratory using natural and renewable materials. The resultant blend is qualitatively superior and much durable than the traditional Portland cement.
We need to work on certain strategies to curb the production of carbon dioxide.
1.    Switching to ‘GREEN’ cement: Navrattan Cement LLP’s Navrattan Crete does not require the use of large energy intensive kilns thus saving a lot of natural resources and protecting the environment.
2.    The use of such cement like Eco-friendly Navrattan Crete is not only stronger and more durable than Portland cement but is also cheaper.
3.    Switching to ‘GREEN’ cement will save us fuel and energy which can then be used for other purposes.
4.    Using sustainable cement also saves from landfills thus protecting earth from land pollution.
5.    Along with the industries efforts the government also needs to take certain stringent action and promote the use of environment friendly cement.
In today’s time it requires everyone’s efforts to control the pollution levels in the environment. Together we can make this world a better place to live.
2 Photos - View album
Shared publicly