Dance of the drones.
With +Eddie Codel
(he did the quadcopter video of Burning Man last year) we played around with his 3DRobotics Iris quadcopter. You see him flying his here. I'm shooting with my DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus, just announced.
All the details on that are here along with a bunch of other videos: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Scobleizer/posts/NaUfuqNy1QV
Sorry, no audio here. This is straight off of the camera and I uploaded without doing any processing. It's more than 10 minutes long, and shows my neighborhood.
Some things that I've learned are different between the 3DRobotics and the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus:
1. you can take a P2V+ out of the box and fly with fpv and telemetry on your phone, take pictures and video during the same flights, change exposure, and then copy a picture to your phone over WiFi for real time posting.
2. It also flies for 25 min if you run down the battery (I usually fly 18-20 min to avoid depleting battery). It also shoots in raw, which Gopro stills cannot touch.
3. Props spin on in literally 5 seconds each and auto-tighten during flight.
4. 3 axis gimbal makes you never want to go back to 2 axis gimbal.
The advantage of the 3D Robotics platform?
1. More programmable. You can get tablet apps that will let you pre-set flight plans and do other things.
2. You get to choose your Gimbal and camera for underneath (with DJI you have to take the whole package).
3. You can hack it easier, which for advanced geeks is important.
As we compare the two more in depth we'll do another report. If you notice other drones that we should consider, especially in the below $1,500 price point (which is where both of these reside) let me know!