Applicants must be passionate about public interest journalism and finding behind-the-scenes stories in a city with one of the highest per-capita violent crime rates in the country and a police department that narrowly avoided a federal take over. Applicants must have a basic understanding of Excel or Google Doc spreadsheets. Multimedia skills - photography, videography, data visualization -- are a bonus. Internships are 5 months long and 12-15 hours a week.
Email applications to Oakland Police Beat editor Abraham Hyatt, firstname.lastname@example.org. When you apply, please tell us your favorite example of an investigative story from anywhere in the world in 2012 and describe why you like it.
- Oakland Police BeatEditor/Co-founder, 2013 - present
- ReadWrite.comManaging Editor, 2009 - 2012
- Digital Journalism PortlandFounder, 2009 - 2012
- Oregon Business magazineManaging Editor, 2007 - 2009
- The San Luis Obispo TribuneReporter, 2005 - 2006
- New Times (San Luis Obispo)Staff Writer, 2003 - 2005
- Santa Maria SunArts & Entertainment Editor, 2002 - 2003
Editor at Oakland Police Beat @olpolicebeat, a data-driven investigative police accountability project in Oakland CA funded by @FundFIJ and the Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation. Former managing editor at ReadWrite.com and Oregon Business magazine; founder of Digital Journalism Portland. Full resume.