This weekend I installed a two-storey bike rack in the shed/laundry. This was supposed to be a super-easy installation: the device is just meant to lean against the wall. But because everything takes ages*, I spent the whole afternoon doing it.
1. Thing was a bit too tall, and the top was almost going to poke through the window. And if it didn't, it would be situated too far out from the wall, wasting inches of space. So I had to construct a little booster for it to sit on.
2. Now it's tall enough, but it's putting some load on the metal grate that stops birds from coming in. Not ideal! So I had to cut a segment out of the grate.
2a. The segment I wanted to cut was in the middle of the grate, so I had to dismantle my hacksaw and reassemble it while entwined in the grate.
3. With the top of it poking through the window, it had nothing to rest on - and nothing to anchor it to the wall. So I had to make a booster with a strap to do that job. Quite a complex assembly of laminated wood and old pants!
3a. Had to drill extra holes in the wall, because drilling into besser blocks is tricky. The drill bit always seems to wander.
It was worth it, though: there's much more room for accessing the washing machine now.
* Seems to be a general rule