That sums up my day today... lol I set out my scented candles, turned the light off, and didn't realise I hadn't lit the candles for 5 minutes. Then I spent another 5 minutes trying to find my matches and figure out what I'd done with the candles...
This is Petey. We adopted him from a rescue. Some of you are familiar with the story, but others won't be.
Petey comes from the southern USA, where beagles are used for hunting. If they're not good hunters, they're often dropped off at shelters with high kill rates. A lady in a city nearby saves as many as she can and puts them up in foster homes until they can be adopted out.
When Petey came to our house, the lady told us that we shouldn't walk him along the road at first, because he was so fearful of everything.
The first time I knew something was wrong with poor Petey was when he was in the back yard and went to eat some rabbit poop. I raised my voice to tell him no, and his instinctive reaction was to roll on his back, tuck his tail between his legs, and cry. That should never be a dog's reaction to a simple command.
It broke my heart to think of this gentle dog being beaten, but it became obvious the longer we had him. Brooms sent him scurrying away. When I absently went to pat him with my foot, he cried and fled.
Nothing makes me more furious than injustice against those who cannot protect themselves. We've worked really hard with Petey, and he's come so far. He's started barking. It took weeks for him to find his voice (aside from crying), but now he'll sing with us and give little barks when he sees a dog out the window.
He's learning that he can trust us. He loves our kids and licks them all over. That's a surprise, because at first he would growl at our son when shown a little too much affection. But now he accepts the hugs with tolerant silence, and even a kiss sometimes.
And you know what? If I reach my stretch goals, I'll share a video of us playing his favourite game, where he runs around the house like a maniac. Although we might do it outside now that the weather's nice, and the yard's clear of snow. :)
I hope you guys have been enjoying these posts where I share bits and pieces of who I am, and what makes me tick. If I start to get annoying, just let me know and I'll shut up. :P
If you want to see some happy pictures of Petey, help me out any way you can! Sharing, donation, commenting, and +1's are all welcome. :)
I've written some side-project stories, planned some Shadow Strings and The Painted Phoenix. Now to push on, get some more writing done, then we're having a good night out. It'll be full of dancing, cocktails, flirting, and fabulous fun :D
It's one of those things that sounds amazingly fun as a booklover, until you realise how much work goes into it. And how much shit you'll have to deal with from pissy authors. Now I read purely for my own pleasure, review as and when I see fit, and put down the books I don't like. It's a much better life :D
- IriniIndie Author, 2014 - presentIndie author with a focus on dark urban fantasy. I currently have the first book in my dark urban fantasy series Wyrd Bound available on Amazon. There are plans for 7 books in that series, with at least 4 related novellas. Outside of the Wyrd Bound series I have plans for a number of other urban fantasy, dark fantasy, D/s fantasy, and political fantasy books.
- me, myself and iMarketer & Copywriter, 2013 - presentA freelance marketer who produces copywriting, website content and marketing strategies for a wide range of businesses from individual authors, to mechanics, property developers and more.
- The Editing HartDevelopmental Editor, 2011 - presentI help my authors fulfill the potential of their stories. I don't push arbitrary rules onto them, I ask questions and make suggestions. My role is to bring out the very best in the author and help them do their story justice. I pride myself on being thorough and efficient. I usually return manuscripts which are under 100k words long within 7 days, complete with all chapter notes and final write-up.
- Literary+Leader & Founder, 2013I covered everything within the business and collective. I did all administration, planning, organising, marketing, sales, administration, management, content writing, copywriting, some fiction and non-fiction writing, and more.
- Literary+Marketing Consultant, 2013I offered consultations to indie authors and related professionals including editors. I wrote marketing plans, analysed current social media efforts, improved the author's social media marketing, aided in writing blurbs and profiles, advised on writing content, planned blog tours, approached media outlets, and taught the author how to understand their audience.
- MyselfFreelance Copywriter, 2012I wrote copy for a number of different businesses ranging from property developers to self-published authors. I also wrote SEO, website content, blog posts, advertising materials and emails.
- ~Name Removed~Owner, 2010This was my dog supplies business which I ran through both a website and through a market stall. I sold everything a dog owner could and would need for their dog. This meant that I did everything from deal with wholesalers, stock management, book-keeping, marketing, sales, copywriting, business administration, website design and content, customer service, everything.
- ~Name Removed~Owner., 2006 - 2011I managed in excess of 70 dogs all of which had wide and varying needs. I worked with everything from nervous puppies, dog aggressive dogs, people aggressive dogs and laid back veterans. I did everything for the business, including training my clients to train their dogs, book-keeping, sales, marketing, diary management, training dogs, training new employees and more.
- ~Large Kennels~Manager, 2007I had 7 members of staff beneath me which I had to delegate tasks to and make sure they were keeping to their schedules. I cared for over 100 dogs, each with their own needs including special dietary and exercise needs. I personally dealt with the dog and people aggressive dogs. It was my job to make sure that both the cattery and kennels ran smoothly and every job was done in an efficient manner to the highest standards.
- Myself.Riding Instructor., 2007 - 2013I taught a variety of people to ride horses, taking them their very first time sitting on a horse through to jumping. My clients ranged from toddlers through to adults and confident through to nervous.
They send their bound creation Thalia, the wild-child shifter, to track the killer down. Thalia would much rather be making a quick buck or playing with the fae, but bound is bound and Thalia must turn her new pack of shifters into an effective team to try and stop the killings. Time is as short as Thalia's temper. Can she make her pack work together and find the killer, or will the killer find her first?
Wyrd Calling: Dark urban fantasy just shifted.
Smashwords — Masquerade Tease — A book by Shen Hart
Written from the point of view of a twisted mind, this tale of love takes place on the most important night of a beautiful young woman's lif
A-Team Murdock rotor check you spin me right round
A-Team Murdock rotor check song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ilKSyrKes
Shocktober Fest Scream Park - Halloween Event at Tulleys Farm, Turners H...
Shocktober Fest Scream Park Halloween Event at Tulleys Farm, West Sussex. Near Crawley, East Grinstead, South London and Brighton.
Fuck Your Ending; Or, Why You Musn’t Ever Matter Except if There's a Lot...
99 Brief Scenes From the End of the World (henceforth 99S) is, and believe me when I say that I don't use this term lightly or regularly, ab
The GATE | Book Review: 'Full Fathom Five' By Peter A. Smalley
With the ever growing Indie writing scene becoming a prominent source of new and exciting writers, one man in particular is starting to make