The evolution of an iPhone shot.
People ask me all the time how I create the photos that I post, I thought it would be fun to take you through my workflow on this latest shot.
Just for clarification, all of my photo's are taken with my iPhone 5 and edited on my phone using apps that are available in the App Store. My pictures are never edited in Photo Shop, Light Room or with computers. When I'm done with a photo, I usually upload it from my phone. So, my workflow remains mobile from beginning to end.
when I'm editing, I almost always use multiple apps todays image is an example of that. This is only one example of how I edit. Each shot is different and the apps I use, as well as the order in which I use them will always vary depending on the desired result.
1. In the first shot (top left) we see the plain unedited shot that I took.
2. After opening the shot in SnapSeed (top right), I used the "Drama" filter at about 80% and boosted the saturation. While in SnapSeed, I also straightened the horizon and a warmed it up using the white balance brightness controls in "Tune Image". I then saved the image back to my camera roll.
3. Next, I opened the new image in PS Express (middle left). In the adjustments section, I selected "Clarity" and boosted it to 100%. Then, I selected "Vibrance" and also boosted it to 100%. Again, I saved the picture to my camera roll.
4. Time to add a BFS (Big Fake Sun). I open the last saved version in LensFlare (middle right). Under the "Spherical Lens" tab I selected "Sol Invictus". I actually used the layers function to add two suns - A large sun cetered between the boys in the picture and a smaller, dimmer sun to act as the reflection on the water. Tip: be sure to color match your sun the the color temperature of the photo. This can be don under the"Edit" tab.
5. Now for the real fire... Next, I opened the image in LensLight (bottom left). Under the effects tab, I selected Lights/Light Rays. I played around with the effect until I was happy with the placement and color match. Saved it to camera roll.
6. Finishing touches... finally, I opened the last saved version in TiltShiftGen (bottom right). Using the Blur function, I added the simulated depth of field blur in the foreground. Lastly, using the "Vignetting" slider, I added some darkening in the corners.
Below, we see the final shot - classic silhouettes coming out of the setting sun.
(Edit: the multi-panel photo used in this tutorial was created on my iPhone using a great app called Diptic.)
That's it. Thanks for looking!