• Each tiny facet (ommatidium) has a lens leading into a crystalline cone with light sensitive cells arranged like the segments of an orange. Individual eyes are insulated from others by a lining of pigment. The final image is a mosaic of light and dark dots, like the halftone illustrations in a newspaper. More ommatidia give a finer pattern of dots and a better resolution. Even so, the resolution of insect eyes is nowhere near that of ours: images we can separate at 60 feet would have to be one foot away to be distinguished by a honey bee.
• The big advantage to compound eyes is that they pick up movements very well because ommatidia can quickly turn on and off to give a flicker effect. Ever tried to swat a fly? Insects can see ultraviolet too.
These images were taken by photographer . Checkout more insect macrophotography at: http://thomasshahan.com/photos
More on compound eyes: http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/C/CompoundEye.html
- ParentsChores, 1999 - present
- AMS 7thRela, Math, Science, TX History, Spanish, Journalism, Band, Health, and PE, 2011 - present
- TimbersReading, Writing, Math, and Science, 2004 - 2010
- AMS 6thRela, Math, Science, World Cultures, Band, and PE, 2010 - 2011
Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated Season 2 Episode 4 Web of Dreamweaver |...
You will Watch Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated Season 2 Episode 4 online for free episodes with HQ / high quality. Stream cartoons Scooby D
Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated Season 2 Episode 2 The House of the Nig...
You will Watch Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated Season 2 Episode 2 online for free episodes with HQ / high quality. Stream cartoons Scooby D
Would you rather... this or that? - Warning: very addictive questions!
What would you rather? Play Would You Rather and compare your choices with me!