Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Helen P Stephens
23 followers -
Web designer, part time author and full time nerd.
Web designer, part time author and full time nerd.

23 followers
About
Helen P's posts

Post has attachment

Post has attachment

Post has shared content
I'm heading to NYC next month... This just got me super excited!
New York Snow - Central Park - Bow Bridge

Covered by a blanket of snow,

the earth stopped spinning.

All was silenced

except for the muffled

heartbeat of the city

falling in love with

winter

one snowflake

at a time.

--

My NYC photography book is back in stock on Amazon U.S. here:

bit.ly/newyorkbook



This is an alternative edit of one of the hundreds of photos featured in my New York photography book which released in stores everywhere worldwide on November 24th. Info about the book (including many photos, sample pages, and info about my history and style of photography):

http://nythroughthelens.com/book



Tags: ‪#‎nyc #snow #newyorkcity #winter #newyorkbook #centralpark‬ ‪#‎nycbook‬ ‪#‎nyc #newyorkphotography #writing #poem
Photo

Post has attachment

Post has attachment

Post has attachment

Post has attachment

Post has attachment

Post has shared content
THESE ARE THE RULES OF WRITING

Just down the page +Eduardo Suastegui  posted a rule about writing asking whether it was valid. I did a long comment, which I deleted and decided to write as a post.

Whenever you see a successful writer telling you that this is the way it should be done (e.g. "never know the ending") you have to translate that into "this is what works for [successful writer]*.

Because everybody has their own process. What works for one writer will not be what works for another and, frankly, advice like this can be damaging for new writers.

Why? Because it might not be right for that person.

It also doesn't matter how many people agree or disagree. Just because 90% of people say "yes I agree, not knowing the end is the right way to do it" doesn't make it right for the other 10%. (Just examples, I didn't take score in this case.)

If you want to be a writer who has readers that enjoy your work there is just one rule: Engage the reader.

Yes, there are techniques that have been learned that can help you achieve that engagement, just as there are known things that will spoil it.

But whenever someone stands up and says "you must write in this fashion, because this is the correct way to do it", don't ignore it, but see if it that's what works for you too. If it does that's great, but if it doesn't that is also great.

Your process is your process.

(And when you are that famous author, be kind to new writers, don't expound your personal process as the "right way to write".)
Photo

Post has attachment
Reviews are really important, especially for new, self published and indie published authors.
Please don't be shy to review. Even if it's negative. 
Wait while more posts are being loaded