Profile cover photo
Profile photo
khosro montazeri
About
Posts

Post has attachment
Landlord in court following illegal #gaswork

A landlord has been given a suspended prison sentence and ordered to carry out 150 hours of community work for endangering a family with young children after he authorised illegal gas work at a Luton home.
Dinyar Sarkari, from Stanmore, North London, commissioned the installation of a new boiler at an address at Radnor Road, Luton, after the tenants complained to the local council that the central heating system wasn’t working.

Mr Sarkari, who owns and rents out the property, agreed to install a new boiler, but he did so using gas fitters who were not registered with #GasSafeRegister – as the law requires.

Luton Magistrates’ Court heard today (14 February) that following the work, the tenants immediately contacted the National Grid after they suspected that gas was leaking. Visiting technicians immediately turned off the gas supply and informed the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) of their findings.

HSE contacted Mr. Sarkari, but he subsequently supplied false documentation as evidence of his Landlord’s Gas Safety Records, which are also a legal requirement.

Dinyar Sarkari, of Uppingham Avenue, Stanmore, London pleaded guilty to three breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and one breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He was given a two month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to carry out 150 hours of community work. He was also fined £5,000 and ordered to pay costs of £9,814.

After the case, HSE Inspector Robert Meardon said: “Dinyar Sarkari has shown a flagrant disregard for his tenants’ safety and put their lives at risk.

“People die every year and many more are harmed by gas related incidents. People can be overcome by carbon monoxide, or affected by an explosion. It is vital that only competent people work on gas fittings and appliances. They must be a member of the Gas Safe Register.

“Landlords in particular have a duty of care and must ensure the safety of their tenants by having such appliances fitted and checked annually by someone on this Register.”

Russell Kramer chief executive of Gas Safe Register, added: “Every Gas Safe registered engineer carries a Gas Safe ID card, which shows who they are and the type of gas appliances they are qualified to work on.

“We always encourage the public to ask for and check the card and if they have any concerns about the safety of work carried out in their home, to speak to us. Every year we investigate thousands of reports of illegal gas work. Call us on 0800 408 5500 or visit our website at www.gassaferegister.co.uk.”

Further information about gas safety can be found online at www.hse.gov.uk/gas
Add a comment...

What should I do if I think my appliance is spilling #carbon-monoxide?

• Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 
• Switch off the appliance and shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve 
• Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room 
• Visit your GP and tell him/her that you believe your may have been exposed to carbon monoxide 
• CSI Ltd is an company and is at your service for all of your Electrical related enquires. Tel number 020 7993 2002 / 020 8150 6644
Add a comment...

What is #Carbon-monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous.  When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs. 

You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning. According to the HSE statistics every year around 11 people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health if breathed in over a long period. In extreme cases paralysis and brain damage can be caused as a result of prolonged exposure to CO. Increasing public understanding of the risks of CO poisoning and taking sensible precautions could dramatically reduce this risk. 

There are signs that you can look out for which indicate incomplete combustion is occurring and may result in the production of CO;

• Yellow or orange rather than blue flames (except fuel effect fires or flueless appliances which display this colour flame) 
• Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances 
• Pilot lights that frequently blow out 
• Increased condensation inside windows 

There are a number of simple steps that gas consumers can take to keep themselves safe.

#Carbon-Monoxide can be produced by any combustion appliance, including those that burn fossil fuels e.g. oil, wood and coal.  If you have one of these appliances you should make sure that it is serviced and maintained by a competent person and the chimney is regularly swept.
Add a comment...

What are my duties as a landlord in relation to #gassafety ?


As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.
 
Appliances, fittings and flues in a communal area but which may be used by tenants are also included.You are responsible for the maintenance and repair of flues, appliances and pipework provided for your tenants use; by a gas safe engineer. Although there is no prescribed timeframe for these duties, good practice would be the demonstration of regular, annual maintenance checks and subsequent repairs.

You are also responsible for ensuring an annual gas safety check is carried out within 12 months of the installation of a new appliance or flue which you provide and annually thereafter by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. You must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.

CSI Ltd is an approved gas safe company and is at your service for all of your gas related enquires.
 
Tel number 020 7993 2002 / 020 8150 6644
Add a comment...

How do I know if my #electricalequipment is safe?

You can find out if your electrical equipment is safe by carrying out suitable checks, such as inspection and / or testing. The level of inspection and / or testing should depend upon the risks. A visual inspection is likely to be sufficient for equipment used in a clean, dry environment. In addition, equipment that is more likely to become damaged, or is operated in a harsh environment, is likely to require more demanding electrical tests. 

Checks should be carried out often enough to ensure there is little chance the equipment will become unsafe between checks. It is good practice to make a decision on how often each piece of equipment should be checked, write this down, make sure checks are carried out accordingly and write down the results. You should change how often you carry out checks, according to the number and severity of faults found.

The best way to find out if specialised equipment is safe is to have it inspected and tested by a person with specific competence on that type of equipment. This may be the original manufacturer or their authorised service and repair agent. A reputable servicing company that deals with that type of equipment should also be competent to check its safety.

CSI Ltd is an NICEIC approved company and is at your service for all of your Electrical related enquires. 

Tel number 020 7993 2002 / 020 8150 6644
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
control System Installation Ltd
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Control System Information Logo
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Photo
Add a comment...
Wait while more posts are being loaded