Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Township of Ocean Historical Museum
7 followers -
An Open Door To History
An Open Door To History

7 followers
About
Posts

Post has attachment
What You Missed - “Farms Galore: Ocean Township’s Rural Past” - Eden Woolley House, 703 Deal Road, Ocean, NJ 07712 - http://ow.ly/DfEd30n9ASI
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Good Morning. The Township of Ocean Historical Museum is closed today: 02/16/2019. It will reopen on 02/19. http://ow.ly/SKmt30a3fVX

The Township of Ocean Historical Museum is open to the public on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (1 p.m. to 4 p.m.), Thursday Evenings (7 p.m. to 9 p.m. March 15 through December 15) and the first and second Sundays of each month (1p.m. to 4 p.m.). The Museum is closed on public holidays.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
February 16-19, 2019, events, on our Historic Happenings Blog - http://ow.ly/bury30nHUuW
Historic Happenings Blog
Historic Happenings Blog
historichappeningsblog.blogspot.com
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
What You Missed - “Farms Galore: Ocean Township’s Rural Past” - Eden Woolley House, 703 Deal Road, Ocean, NJ 07712 - http://ow.ly/DfEd30n9ASI
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Drummond Saw Mill - 701 Roseld Avenue, Wanamassa, NJ 07712 - http://ow.ly/p11n30nItZu

Originally, two of the four (4) mills in todays Ocean Township were owned by the Drummond Family. A grist mill stood on the branch of Deal Lake where the stores in downtown Wanamassa on Wickapecko Drive stand today.

A saw mill existed on Roseld Avenue, near where it merges with Wickapecko Drive, along Hog Swamp Creek or Harvey Brook, on land that today is owned by Hollywood Country Club. While the mill has not existed in many years, the mill spill-way wall still exists in the woods.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Ocean Township Board of Education Administration Building (Formerly the Oakhurst School), 163 Monmouth Road, Oakhurst, NJ 07755 - http://ow.ly/R0mr30nDfk4

The Oakhurst School, built in 1900 at a cost of $12,000, had four rooms and outside plumbing. The teaching principal was Professor Ralph Busch, who received $700 per year. Electricity was added in 1905. Two more classrooms and an auditorium were added in 1908. In 1912, running water and lavatories were installed. With an enrollment of 210 pupils in 1921, two more classes were added and the present auditorium was constructed at a cost of $25,300. The last addition on the original building was made in 1932, when two classrooms were built over the auditorium. A new wing of eight classrooms was added in 1951. The school accommodated all the children from Wayside and Oakhurst in grades one to eight from 1900 to 1958. From 1959 to 1978, it was used as a K to 4 and K to 5 grammer school. Principals serving the Oakhurst School were Busch, Charles J. Strahan, Frank Parker, Jesse Love, Harry Patterson, Estelle Voorhees, Ernest Smith, Richard Randall, John D. Rasp, Donald Vineburg, and Glen Morgan. In 1978, the building was turned into the school district's administrative offices.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Former Sections of the Township of Ocean - Long Branch

The Township of Ocean was formed in 1849, when the Township of Shrewsbury was split and the section along the coast was named Ocean. Many of our neighboring towns were once part of Ocean, but broke off to form their own towns over time (which is why the Township of Ocean today has no oceanfront).

The area that today is Long Branch, was originally part of Ocean Township until 1904. Long Branch was a colonial era oceanfront retreat. Long Branch developed into a nationally significant resort in the first half of the 19th Century and it was arguably the most prominent resort by 1860. The Elberon section of the City is today next to Deal and Ocean Township

The estate "Castlewall" was located on Van Court Avenue and was completed in 1882 by William R. Garrison. Garrison was partners in several shipping companies owned with his father Cornelius Kingston Garrison. Unfortunately, Garrison was killed in a railroad accident in Oceanport, in July 1882, only a few months after the completion of the house. It was later owned by lawyer Myron H. Oppenheim.
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Good Morning. The Township of Ocean Historical Museum is closed today: 02/15/2019. It will reopen on 02/19. http://ow.ly/SKmt30a3fVX

The Township of Ocean Historical Museum is open to the public on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (1 p.m. to 4 p.m.), Thursday Evenings (7 p.m. to 9 p.m. March 15 through December 15) and the first and second Sundays of each month (1p.m. to 4 p.m.). The Museum is closed on public holidays.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Former Sections of the Township of Ocean - Long Branch

The Township of Ocean was formed in 1849, when the Township of Shrewsbury was split and the section along the coast was named Ocean. Many of our neighboring towns were once part of Ocean, but broke off to form their own towns over time (which is why the Township of Ocean today has no oceanfront).

The area that today is Long Branch, was originally part of Ocean Township until 1904. Long Branch was a colonial era oceanfront retreat. Long Branch developed into a nationally significant resort in the first half of the 19th Century and it was arguably the most prominent resort by 1860. The Elberon section of the City is today next to Deal and Ocean Township

The estate "Castlewall" was located on Van Court Avenue and was completed in 1882 by William R. Garrison. Garrison was partners in several shipping companies owned with his father Cornelius Kingston Garrison. Unfortunately, Garrison was killed in a railroad accident in Oceanport, in July 1882, only a few months after the completion of the house. It was later owned by lawyer Myron H. Oppenheim.
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
What You Missed - “Farms Galore: Ocean Township’s Rural Past” - Eden Woolley House, 703 Deal Road, Ocean, NJ 07712 - http://ow.ly/DfEd30n9ASI
Add a comment...
Wait while more posts are being loaded