Well, this looks promising! OU faculty, students, and staff just got access to lynda.com at a lynda.ou.edu installation. I checked, and there are some writing-related courses, including a grammar overview. The videos are not exactly thrilling, but they are definitely watchable, and they have a great transcript that you can use to read instead of watch OR to navigate the video (click on a chunk of text in the transcript and video goes there). So, I think I see a new extra credit thing happening here; I could pick out some good videos, ask students to watch them, and have them write a quick blog post with their reactions so I could find out which videos are useful, not useful, questions students still have not answered by the videos, etc. Anyway, it's SOMETHING. I've been frustrated by lack of support anywhere on our campus (including Writing Center) where students can get systematic review material for writing mechanics. I think we now have a solution! So, I will post more on this later. Obviously I need to check out the tech stuff... but I was excited about the possibly of some help with writing here too!
6 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- Lynda has pretty good classes overall.Nov 21, 2014
- This is my first experience with it. I was impressed by the navigability overall and I like having real URLs for each video!Nov 21, 2014
- It's tried and true. Lynda.com is the real deal.Nov 21, 2014
- I cannot believe I did not lead you into Lynda! That's crazy of me! I know this is also crazy, but I thought you already knew!Nov 21, 2014
- Oh, I had heard of it, but was not inclined to pay... being able to explore it with my students will be so much fun!Nov 22, 2014