Sculpt of the Spaeship of the Imagination created for the Atlanta Star Party's auction (http://atlantastarparty.com/ on 8/28). It's 22inches high with the base. The base is aluminum topped with a layer of black acrylic topped with a layer of clear acrylic laser-etched with the word IMAGINE. The black plaque on the rear is also laser-cut acrylic. The sphere is chromed steel (hollow, of course) and the body was sculpted by hand and covered in VHT Plate Finish.
August 17, 2014
5 Photos - View album
8 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- SOOOOO GOOD!! Congrats on it. The pics look amazing.Aug 17, 2014
- Thanks! It was a pain in the ass! haha Had to paint it four times and the laser cutter broke down on me twice. But I'm happy with it (for the most part - there are blemishes I wish I had time to fix).Aug 17, 2014
- Brilliant!Aug 17, 2014
- But you cut shit… WITH LAZORZ!!!Aug 17, 2014
- That's pretty rad Maggie. Nice work.Aug 18, 2014
- Impressive. What material is the body sculpted from? I assume the sphere is repurposed. What was it made for?Aug 18, 2014
- The body started from 5 layers of foamcore cut out to define the outline and show where the bulge should start. On top of that is layer upon layer of Bondo, sculpted and sanded (and sanded and sanded and...) into the proper shape. That was followed by numerous layers of primer and VHT plate finish. Originally I had a 4 inch plastic sphere that was to be painted, but I found a 4 inch chromed gazing sphere online and swapped it in for increased awesome. The heavy base was scavenged from a lamp and prettied up with some acrylic.Aug 18, 2014
- Thanks, Logan! =DAug 18, 2014
Add a comment...