CryptoParty Chicago - March 1st at SSH (Southside Hackerspace)
CryptoParty is a global endeavor to host events that introduce the
basics of practical encryption to the general public |www.cryptoparty.in/chicago
Saturday, March 1st, 2pm-5pm, 2233 S Throop St. Unit 214.
This event is open to the public.
We'll gather to discuss how to communicate more securely in an age of widespread government surveillance. In particular, we are interested in teaching basic crypto to end users. Our goal is to spread practical knowledge through hands-on exercises.
The last four years we've seen an unprecedented crackdown on whistleblowers from our government. This requires better safeguards
to protect sources but also ensure our freedom of press and speech.
What to Bring: Your laptop (all operating systems supported) and your
cell phone. An external hard drive if you have one.
What You'll Get Out of It:
- More secure messaging for phones and computers, such as instant
messaging, email, and voice calls
- Creating secure, encrypted folders on all operating systems
- Installing the Tor browser bundle, which helps hide your location online
- Using best practices, like changing passwords frequently and data backup
- Other applications you can use to hide or obfuscate your information