The VSU Archives & Special Collections was created in 1983 and was initially housed on the first floor of Odum Library, practically hidden away under the stairs. Fast forward to today and we are now located on the 4th floor of the new library addition, complete with a climate-controlled vault for storage and a spacious patron area; recently dedicated as the William Mobley IV Reading Room. No longer hidden in the bowels of the library, the Archives & Special collections has evolved into an active and vital partner with the university and community.
We have an award-winning teaching program, including history and art classes, and an excellent extra credit volunteer program, last year brought in over 80 volunteers who performed 1500 hours of service. In addition, we also have an active digitizing program, with over 7000 pages of exhibits, documents, and databases on our website athttp://www.valdosta.edu/library/find/arch/index.shtml, featuring the nationally recognized South Georgia Folklife Collection. The VSU Archives has a leading role on the VSU’s institutional repository Vtext, with thousands of pages of theses, dissertations, and historical documents. The Archives is active in collection art and has created permanent exhibits of Archives’ and Odum Library’s holdings on campus.
Our holdings include over 7,500 linear feet of collections in such areas as VSU History, regional Folklife, Georgia History, Oral Histories, Women’s History, Military History, Educational History, Art, including African and Asian Collection, and Religion. Our special collections include an extensive book collection focusing on Georgia and out rare book collection. We collect a wide variety of materials to document the university, its employees, students, and alumni, to document the South Georgia region and to support VSU curriculum.