Matt. 26:36-46 THE SUFFERINGS OF JESUS
Intro: There are three words given in the New testament in connection with the sufferings
and death of Jesus that we would do well to remember. They are: Gethsemane, Gabbatha,
and Golgotha. These words are all the names of places where Jesus suffered. By looking at
each of these, we can get arrive at a better understanding of what Jesus suffered on our
behalf. Because in each of these places, Jesus suffered at different hands. I want to look at
these places tonight and try to understand a little better what Jesus suffered for you and for me.
Notice with me:
I. Mt. 26:36-46 GETHSEMANE - SUFFERING AT THE HAND OF SATAN
A. Jesus felt the full impact of Satan's attack in Gethsemane - (Ill. Lk. 4:13)
No doubt, Satan attempted to murder the Savior in the garden to prevent His
blood from being shed on the cross. Satan may have tempted the Lord to back
away from the cross, but Jesus was totally submissive to His Father's will,
(v.39). (Ill. The content of the cup - Not suffering, not death, my sin!)
1. Mark 14:33 - "Sore Amazed" - Suddenly struck with auprised terror.
2. Mt. 26:37 - "Very Heavy" - He was weighed down with a feeling of
uncertainty and acute distress
3. Mt. 26:38 - "Exceeding sorrowful unto death" - He was surrounded by
grief to the degree that it threatened His very life!
4. Through all of this, Jesus was victorious! (Ill. The Father helped Him -
Luke 22:43; Heb. 5:7**)
5. He is qualified to help you in your times of temptation - Heb. 4:15!
B. Jesus felt the full impact of sin's curse in Gethsemane
1. Sin brought a curse upon the earth and upon mankind, Gen. 3:17-24
2. In Gethsemane, Jesus lay upon cursed ground and in sweat and sorrow
won the victory over sin and it's curse! (Ill. Drops of blood - Luke 22:44)
3. Ill. Gethsemane means - "Oil press" In that garden, Jesus was pressed
by all that hell could place upon Him and still He conquered with you on
II. John 19:1-13 GABBATHA - SUFFERING AT THE HAND OF SINNERS
A. Gabbatha is associated with the sufferings of Jesus at the hands of sinful
man - Matt. 26:45.
B. Jesus was "Despised and rejected of men" Isa. 53:3 Notice what He suffered
1. Betrayed by Judas and deserted by the disciples - Matt. 26:47-56
2. Beaten by the Temple guards - Luke 22:63-64
3. Rejected by the very people He came to save - Matt. 27:17-25; John 1:11
4. Scourged - Matt. 27:26 (Ill. Furrows - Psa. 129:3)
5. Mocked by the soldiers and crowned with thorns - Matt. 27:26-29
6. Beard plucked from His face - Isa. 50:6
7. He was condemned to die - John 19:13-16
C. Jesus endured the pain, the agony, the suffering and the shame all because He
loved you! (Heb. 12:2)