Roots of Success is an empowering environmental literacy and job readiness curriculum that prepares youth and adults from underserved communities for opportunities in the green economy, and to improve conditions in their communities.
Our mission is to ensure that all people have the knowledge and skills needed to accelerate the transition to a more equitable, healthy and sustainable society.
The curriculum includes 9 modules – (1) Fundamentals for Environmental Literacy (Introduction) (2) Water, (3) Waste, (4) Transportation, (5) Energy, (6) Building, (7) Health, Food & Agriculture, (8) Community Organizing & Leadership, (9) Application & Practice (Conclusion). After offering the Fundamental module, programs can teach as many or as few additional modules as they choose.
The curriculum increases environmental literacy, strengthens academic skills, prepares people to work in the green economy and improve environmental conditions.
- The environmental literacy component helps participants understand natural systems, biological systems, and social systems; the connection between human activity and the environment; the science behind climate change; and introduces students to environmental issues, problems, and solutions from the multi-disciplinary perspectives of environmental science, public health, land use planning, policy analysis, economic development, social and environmental justice.
- The academic skills component strengthens vocabulary, reading, writing, math, critical thinking, problem solving, communication, public speaking, computer and test taking abilities and skills.
- The job readiness component provides participants with detailed information about green jobs, career pathways, and social enterprise opportunities in multiple sectors of the green economy (water, waste, transportation, energy, building, health, food & agriculture) and prepares them for interviews with employers.
- The leadership component prepares and inspires people to take action to improve conditions in their communities and to become leaders in the environmental movement. The focus is on developing analytical tools and organizing strategies that can be applied in a variety of situations and familiarizing participants with effective and inspirational examples of community organizing for equitable green development and green jobs. The Community Organizing & Leadership Module gives students a comprehensive understanding of how to catalyze a community to come together, run a community meeting, and participate in decision-making processes that address their environmental concerns.
Roots of Success Makes Learning Relevant: The strength and impact of Roots of Success comes from how it delivers information – it is not simply given to students as if they are open vessels ready to bank information, but as people who learn better when they engagewith the material, see and hear content that is relevant to their lives and sparks conversation and are encouraged to learn from one another. Instructors are supported to develop supplementary teaching materials and activities that make the curriculum geographically and culturally relevant for participants.
Roots of Success Connects Education To Employment: In addition to the focus on green jobs and careers in each of the modules, instructors and students have access to a “Green Jobs and Career Pathways Guidebook” that focuses on 162 green jobs and career pathways in the water, waste, transportation, energy, building, food and agriculture sectors. The emphasis is on career pathways and professional development.
Roots of Success Is Designed For Scale
- Customized versions for different users
- Affordable, flexible, and adaptable
- Used by a diverse range of programs (education, workforce, community, government)
- User friendly materials
- Train-the-Instructor training prepares people to teach the course
- Teachers are trained and certified in the geographic regions in which they live and work
- Can be taught by instructors who do not have teaching experience and/or expertise on environmental issues and/or the green economy
- Student-centered approach that builds on prior learning and experiences
- Designed for students with different learning styles (auditory, visual, kinesthetic)
- Engages students who have previously struggled in traditional academic settings
- Works well with youth and adults of all income and education levels
- Available in English and Spanish
- Community-of-Practice for certified teachers
Roots of Success Promotes Academic Advancement
- Community-of-Practice for certified teachers
- Focuses on student success
- Strengthens vocabulary, reading, writing, math, critical thinking, problem solving, communication, public speaking, computer and test taking abilities and skills
- Fosters understanding and critical thinking about environmental problems and solutions from a multi-disciplinary perspective
- Results in students feeling competent, confident, smart, and excited about learning
- Uniquely combines the perspectives of environmental science, public health, urban planning, public policy, and environmental justice
Roots of Success Inspires Grassroots Leadership