- Barr GroupChief Technical Officer, 2012 - present
- NetrinoPresident, 1999 - 2013
- TSI TelsysPrincipal Engineer, 1997 - 1998
- Hughes Network SystemsSoftware Engineer, 1994 - 1996
- Embedded Systems ProgrammingEditor-in-Chief, 1999 - 2003
Michael Barr is a former adjunct professor of electrical and computer engineering with over a decade of software design and implementation experience. Internationally recognized as an expert in the field of embedded software process and architecture, Barr has been admitted as a testifying expert witness in U.S. and Canadian court cases involving issues of reverse engineering (including DMCA), interception of encrypted signals (Federal Communications Act), patent infringement, theft of copyrighted source code (including trade secrets issues), and product liability.
Barr is also the author of three books and more than seventy articles and papers on embedded systems. For three and a half years Barr served as editor-in-chief of Embedded Systems Programming magazine. In addition, Barr is a member of the advisory board and a track chair for the Embedded Systems Conference. Software he wrote continues to power millions of products. Barr holds B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical engineering and has lectured in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Maryland, from which he also earned an MBA, as well as the Department of Computer Science at the Johns Hopkins University.
- University of Maryland at College ParkBSEE, MSEE, MBA, 1989 - 2006
- Calvert Hall College1985 - 1989