Click on "POSTS" above for the latest Spiritual Quotes, Blogs/Notes, Satsang Discourses, Videos, Bhajans, (Hymns), Mystic Poetry, Links to Sant Mat Satsang Podcasts and Spiritual Awakening Radio MP3s, Book Reviews, and Announcements.
SUBSCRIBE TO PODCASTS: Subscribe to Podcasts of Spiritual Awakening Radio:
PODCASTS: Sant Mat Satsang PODcasts:
PODCASTS: Spiritual Awakening Radio PODcasts Available Online: Download or Stream MP3s of Spiritual Awakening Radio at:
This page and the Sant Mat Satsang Radio Podcasts are non-sectarian in spirit and inter-faith in tone, inclusive of the wisdom of all the great world religions, Masters (Sant Satgurus), and schools of mystics.
In a spirit of ahimsa/peace, through the written and spoken word, you will find spiritual quotes based upon the Teachings the Masters of the East, giving everyone access to rare books from India, some of which are only now appearing in English for the very first time. You will hear or read satsang talks, which are spiritual discourses representing a Living School of Spirituality known as Sant Mat.
ON THE USAGE OF THE TERM "SANT MAT"
"Sant Mat" means: "The Teachings of the Saints" or "Path of the Masters". In India it's common knowledge that the term "Sant Mat" was coined or adapted by Param Sant Tulsi Sahib of Hathras during the 19th Century. "Sant Mat" was adopted and popularized by Tulsi Sahib as a new name for this spiritual path or genre of mysticism, but the Sant tradition, with its many guru-lineages or branches, is a spiritual movement that dates back many centuries to ancient India. Tulsi Sahib was of the opinion that the Sant movement goes back to the time of Krishna thousands of years ago, that Krishna knew of Sants or Rishis during his day, the age of the Bhagavad Gita.
Commonly used words like "Sant", "Sat", and "Mat", with their roots in Sanskrit, are found in the literature of many spiritual paths originating in India. "Santmat", as a single word referring to the efficacy of following the teachings of Sants does turn up on a couple of occasions in Sant literature during the centuries prior to the time of Tulsi Sahib. It could be present in a few verses of Kabir, and is in at least one verse of a poem of Sant Tulsi Das. Clearly however, "Sant Mat" as the universal name or label for this school of spirituality or Sant tradition begins with Tulsi Sahib during the 19th Century in Hathras, and now has been embraced by millions of souls and scores of spiritual paths based in India.
"While the title of Sant Mat (translated as 'Teachings of the Sants') was not coined until the late 19th century by Tulsi Sahib, the philosophical mindset was indeed prevalent for many centuries." (Andrea Grace Diem, Ph.D., "Lions in the Punjab)
"The principles and tenets of Sant Mat are one and the same, only there is a difference in terminology........ Listen, O Phool Das, I have given out the same true secrets which Sants like Kabir Saheb, Dadu Saheb, Rai Das Ji, Darya Saheb, Guru Nanak, Soor Das Ji, Nabha Ji and Mira Bai have spoken of. They, too, have composed similar hymns describing the bliss of the highest spiritual region, whose glory I also have sung, blessed by the grace and the dust of the holy feet of Sants". (Sant Tulsi Sahib of Hathras, Ghat Ramayan)
BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE TEACHINGS OF SANT MAT, THE PATH OF THE MASTERS
* All souls (jivas) are in essence drops of love from the Sea of God.
* The attachment and association with mind and body makes the soul lose sight of the real Self.
* God assumes the form of a Saint to lead the soul back to its Original Home.
* One must surrender one's entire being to the Ocean of Love of which we are a part, instead of limiting ourselves to sensual pleasures which leave us unhappy and discontented.
* This can be done by the practice of Surat Shabd Yoga [Inner Light and Sound Meditation].
* By attuning oneself to the Life Current which proceeds from the Heart of Anami Purush [God, The Nameless One/Radhasoami] in the form of Light and Sound, one can finally achieve union with the True Self, finding the joy one is seeking. (R.S. White Paper on Religion of Sants and Radhasoami Faith)
EXPLORING THE LIGHT AND SOUND OF INNER SPACE
Sant Mat is a School of Spirituality and mysticism based in India. SantMat is also known as: The Way of the Saints, Sages and Mystics, Radhasoami — Radha Soami, and, Path of the Masters.
The mission of this site is to provide access to the Wisdom of the Masters via podcasts, radio, and the web, for those who seek to come to a deeper understanding of the traditional teachings of the Masters from an authentic Indian perspective, live a spiritual life, and develop a successful meditation practice.
The spiritual practice of the Sants is a combination of Bhakti and Surat Shabd Yoga: The Union (Yoga) of the attention-faculty of the soul (Surat) with the inner Light and Sound (Shabd) of God during meditation. Inner Light and Sound Meditation (Surat Shabd Yoga) is the spiritual practice of an Eastern Gnostic movement dating back to ancient times. Prem-Bhakti: Inner Light and Sound Meditation is most effective when practiced in a spirit of Bhakti: Love and Devotion for God. The goal of this form of meditation is oneness with God.A SANT MAT VISION FOR LIFE ON EARTH IN THIS HUMAN FORM"Recognize the Path to your Beloved, O travelers and take the route of the anguished lover in separation. Keep the Master’s grace in your thoughts, and reflect on his pure teachings. Develop love and devotion with endearment, and keep the thought of the Creator always before you. Try to merge yourself into God like water in water. Fix your mind within by following the Path of the Sound Current. A yearning will arise; make then an intense and anguished call. Repeat the Name of your Beloved, day and night, again and again. With care in thought, word and deed, you will cross to the other shore."
(Sant Dadu Dayal)"Avalokiteshvara Buddha [Quan Yin], the hearer and answerer of prayer, has visited all the Buddha-lands of the ten quarters of the universe and has acquired transcendental powers of boundless freedom and fearlessness and has vowed to emancipate all sentient beings from their bondage and suffering. How sweetly mysterious is the Transcendental Sound of Avalokiteshvara! Is is the subdued murmur of the sea-tide setting inward. Its mysterious Sound brings liberation and peace to all sentient beings who in their distress are calling for aid."
(Surangama Sutra, Buddhist Scripture)"So plunge into the Truth, find out who the Teacher is. Believe in the Great Sound!"
(Kabir)"All beautiful forms and tones of this world are mere reflections of some aspect of that ultimate Love-Music of the Great Creative Word. Within the vast complex of creation, each individual spirit is himself/herself a spark of that Eternal Song of Love."
(George Arnsby Jones)"Who else is Christ but the Sound of God?"
(Gnostic Acts of John)
Kabir says, "Where else have you heard a Sound like this?"GENUINE HUMAN UNITY
"Sant Mat", means: "Teachings of the Saints" or "Path of the Masters". Over the centuries there have been, and continues to be, many Sants (Sant Satgurus), many branches of Sant Mat or Radhasoami, and lineages of Masters in the world. As Maharishi Mehi once said: "In different times and different places, Saints appear and their followers name their religion according to the Sage or Saint who propounded that tradition. The appearance of differences can be attributed to time, place, and language. This gives rise to various labels for the common views held by all religions. Likewise, due to excessively zealous followers, these seeming differences are often amplified. When all sectarianism and the temporal and linguistic aspects are removed, the basic principles of all the Saints are in accord and the voices of the Saints are in harmony." (a quote from the book, "Harmony of All Religions", published by Maharshi Mehi Ashram, Kuppaghat, Bhagalpur, Bihar, India) SEVEN TEACHINGS OF SANT MAT
1) God is Real.
2) God is Love, the Ocean of Love and Compassion.
3) All of the world scriptures teach about the same manifestation of God as inner mystical Light and Sound.
4) Our true identity is soul, the Self. Soul is part of God and therefore is, like God, pure love.
5) During this human existence we have an opportunity to experience God.
6) As we experience communing with God's love during meditation — Surat Shabd Yoga, we can rise above body-consciousness and explore Inner Space, the "Kingdom of the Heavens" that are within us. "We travel back from the realm of Darkness to the realm of Light, from the Light to divine Sound, and from the realm of Sound to the Soundless State [Anami, Radhaswami, Anadi Purush, Ram]."
(Swami Sant Sevi Ji Maharaj) The drop merges back into the Ocean of Love.
7) As we get initiated into the Mysteries of the Spirit by a Living Teacher (Master, Sant Satguru), the purpose of our life is fulfilled. Reuniting with God is our reason to be here: "It was for the sake of the God-conscious beings that our True Lord created this earth, and began this play of death and birth"
. (Adi Granth) Kabir says: "For millions of years you have slept. This morning, will you not wake?".
The meditation practice of the Sant Tradition is called Surat Shabd Yoga, meaning: "Union (Yoga) of the Soul (Surat) with the Inner Light and Sound of God (Shabd)."The goal of this form of meditation is oneness with God.
See below, for a longer, more detailed introduction to Sant Mat, the Path of Love (Bhakti), and Inner Light & Sound Mysticism.
All for the Love of Wisdom and Radio, In the Love, Light, and Sound of the Beloved, Jai Sat Naam, Jai Guru, Radhasoami, Peace Be To You,
Sant Mat Satsang Podcast
Sant Mat Fellowship
Sant Mat Satsang Society of North America
Spiritual Awakening Radio Productions
THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF SANT MAT
The Following Principles Below are Recited Daily by Some in India
1. Ultimate Reality is beyond any beginning or end, infinite, beyond birth, beyond the senses, all-pervading yet even beyond pervasiveness. It must, therefore, be understood as the Supreme Being. This Essential Element is known in Santmat [the Teachings of the Saints] as the Lord of All and is the foundation of all things. This Being is beyond both the inanimate and animate aspects of nature. It is without qualities and beyond qualities. Its nature is infinite, imperishable, all-powerful. It is beyond time and space, beyond sound and beyond form — Nirguna). It is the One without a second. The Supreme Being is beyond the scope of the mind, the intellect and the senses. This entire universe is powered by the energy of this Being. This Being is not human. It is not manifested in physical form. It has existence beyond the illusion of maya [illusion], and there is nothing that exists outside of it. It is the Being which is eternal and is in existence from the beginning. Santmat considers this Being to be the Divine Reality, and this [knowing or merging with] this Being is the goal of all spirituality.
2. The individual soul is an inseparable part of the Supreme Being.
3. The physical world of nature was created. It has an origin and an end.
4. The individual soul (jiva), bound by illusion (maya), remains in the cycle of death and birth. This is the cause of one's suffering. In order to escape from this cycle of death and birth we must experience realization of this Supreme Being.
5. By practicing devotion through these four techniques -- Manas Japa (Simran, recitation of the divine name), Manas Dhyana (Dhyan, focus on the divine form), Dristi Sadhana (Yoga of Inner Light, Inner Seeing, Inner Light Meditation, focus on the Infinitesimal Point), and Nadanusandhana Yoga (Surat Shabd Yoga, concentration on the inner divine Sounds) — the practitioner consecutively transcends the realms of darkness, Light, and Sound which cloak the Supreme Truth — the Divine Reality. Only in a human body an individual soul is able to achieve unity with the Divine. [In other forms of existence, animal, etc..., it is not possible to tread the spiritual path.]
6. Lying, stealing, intake of intoxicating substances, adultery, and violence (including harming other beings) are the five sins to be avoided. Eating meat or fish is also considered to be a form of violence and should be avoided. The aspirants of Santmat must abstain from these vices.*
7. The following are considered to be the requirements for the attainment liberation: (A) Trust and belief in God; (B) Commitment to seek the Divine within; (C) Devotion and service to a satguru — spiritual Master; (D) Satsang, listening to the teaching and spiritual discourse including study of the Teaching of the Saints and the scriptures; and (E) Dhyana, diligent meditation practice. (Maharshi Mehi)INTRODUCTION TO SANT MAT:
SANT MAT LIBRARY: Online Books/PDF Files, Audio/Talking Books:
SANT MAT — SURAT SHABD YOGA — RADHASOAMI GURU LINEAGE CHARTS:THE MYSTICISM OF SOUND
Hazrat Inayat Khan, from, The Mysticism of Sound: "Abstract Sound is called Saut-i Sarmad; all space is filled with it. The vibrations of this sound are too fine to be either audible or visible to the material ears or eyes, since it is even difficult for the eyes to see the form and color of he ethereal vibrations on the external plane. It was the Saut-i Sarmad, the Sound of the abstract plane, which Muhammad heard in the cave of Ghar-i Hira when he became lost in his divine ideal. The Quran refers to this Sound in the words, 'Be! and all became.' Moses heard this very Sound on Mount Sinai, when in communion with God; and the same Word was audible to Christ when absorbed in his Heavenly Father in the wilderness. Shiva heard the same Anahad Nada during his Samadhi in the cave of the Himalayas. The flute of Krishna is symbolic of the same Sound. This Sound is the source of all revelation to the Masters, to whom it is revealed from within; it is because of this that they know and teach one and the same Truth."BHAKTI
— LOVE FOR GOD
— THE OCEAN OF LOVE
Sant Mat is a God-Centered Path of Bhakti and Prem — Love and Devotion for the Beloved: The Formless God (Nirguna), The Nameless One (Anami), The Soundless State (Anadi Purush), The Lord of the Soul (Radhasoami), The Ocean of Love (Anurag Sagar), Oneness and All-Consciousness (Kaivalya).
Guru Kabir says: "How could the love between Thee and me sever? As the leaf of the lotus abides on the water: so thou art my Lord, and I am Thy servant. As the night-bird Chakor gazes all night at the moon: so Thou art my Lord and I am Thy servant. From the beginning until the ending of time, there is love between Thee and me; and how shall such love be extinguished? Kabir says: "As the river enters into the Ocean, so my heart touches Thee."
(Songs of Kabir, Rabindranath Tagore)"How can one sit so still, repeat only holy names and think of God constantly? 'By falling in love,' Mataji answered serenely. 'Because when one is truly in love nothing but the Beloved can enter one's mind. So the secret of Surat Shabd Yoga and of mysticism,' she goaded, 'is not necessarily practice and more practice, but love. To be so devoted to one's Lord that nothing can stand in the way
— this and nothing else is the truth of Sant Mat'".
(Yogani Mata Ji, Enchanted Land)
INITIATION INTO SURAT SHABD YOGA — INNER LIGHT AND SOUND MEDITATION
The Master said to his students: "What your own eyes cannot see, your human ears do not hear, your physical hands cannot touch, and what is inconceivable to the human mind — that I will give you!" (Jesus/Yeshua, Gnostic Gospel of Thomas, a contemplative gospel for mystics)
In the Sant tradition, the complete methods and secrets of meditation practice are communicated at the time of Initiation (Diksha) by a living Master (Sant Satguru, Competent, Qualified Teacher) or a representative of a Master (not a past Saint or holy book). A Living Teacher, being fully acquainted with the 'landscape' of Inner Space, is able to impart to initiate-candidates valuable guidance on how to safely make the journey of ascension to the Inner Regions during meditation practice within. This kind of spiritual transmission and the details of Surat Shabd Yoga practice are not found in books, old scriptures of the past, and are not for sale, but are given freely to seekers by a living Teacher.
Swami Sant Sevi Ji Maharaj, from the Sant Mat classic, Harmony of All Religions: "The individual Soul has descended from the higher worlds [realms of the Divine] to this city of illusion [bodily existence]. It has descended from the Soundless State to the essence of Sound, from that Sound to Light, and finally from the realm of Light to the realm of Darkness. The qualities (natural tendencies) of the sense organs draw us upward (by withdrawing consciousness) from the darkness to the realms of Light and Sound. In other words, to go inward from the external sense organs to the depth of the inner Self. The natural tendencies of the Soul (Atman) are to move from outward to inward. The Current of consciousness which is dispersed in the nine gates of the body and the nine senses must be collected at the tenth gate (the sixth chakra, the Third Eye Bindu, Center between the eyebrows). Therein lies the path for our return. This is the act of leaving the gates of the sense organs and becoming established in the soul. .... We travel back from the realm of Darkness to the realm of Light, from the Light to divine Sound, and from the realm of Sound to the Soundless State [Anami, the Ocean of Love and All-consciousness]. This is turning back. This is what dharma or religion really intends to teach us and it is the essence of dharma. Masters say: "An intense longing to meet the Lord during one's lifetime is the first and foremost qualification for Initiation. 'Seek, and ye shall find', is the principle."
At the time of Initiation one vows to practice meditation each day. The spiritual path is a life-long commitment.
THE ETHICAL FOUNDATON OF SANT MAT
— AHIMSA VALUES
— THE FIVE PRECEPTS
Moral requirements for Initiation
1. Abstinence from alcohol and drugs (intoxicants);
2. Ahimsa (Non-Violence in thought, word, and deed) including in the area of diet, as in following a vegan (abstinence from animal products) or vegetarian diet (abstinence from meat, fish, and eggs);
3. Leading a truthful life;
4. Practicing non-stealing: an honest, ethical source of income;
5. Loyalty to ones spouse;
Another Version of the Five Precepts
1) Refrain from taking the life of sentient beings. This precept also requires strict adherence to a vegan (no animal products) or lacto-vegetarian diet (no meat, fish, poultry nor eggs, fertilized or non-fertilized).
2) Refrain from speaking what is not true.
3) Refrain from taking what is not yours.
4) Refrain from sexual misconduct.
5) Refrain from using intoxicants.KEY WORDS
Key Words include: Path of the Masters: Sant Mat — Santmat, Radhasoami — Radha Soami, Satsang, Inner Light and Sound Meditation: Surat Shabd Yoga, Audible Life Stream, Quan Yin Method, Spiritual Science, Spirituality, Kabir, Maharshi Mehi, Kirpal Singh, Gnosticism, Third Eye, Out Of Body Experiences, Near-Death Experiences, Inner Space, the Kingdom of the Heavens Within, Mystic Poetry, Vegetarian Vegan, Ahimsa, Love, and God.
You might also enjoy this page if you're interested in: Mira Bai, Guru Kabir and all the Great Nirguna Bhakti Sant Poet Mystics of the East, Kabir Panth, Kirpal Singh, Nada Yoga, Quanyin, The Quan Yin Method, Shurangama, The Way of the Surangama Sutra, The Sound of Silence — Transcendental Hearing in Buddhism, Maharishi Mehi Ashram, Shri Anandpur, Shri Paramhans Advait Mat, Rumi, Mystic Poetry, Sikh Scriptures, Jap Ji (Morning Prayer) of Guru Nanak, Hindu Philosophy, Krishna — Vashinava, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, Narada Bhakti Sutras, Shri Guru Granth, Bijak, Anurag Sagar, Dadu Panch Vani, Ghat Ramayana and Ratan Sagar of Tulsi Sahib, Shabds, Banis, Kirtans of: Tukaram, Paltu Sahib, Namdev, Ravidas, Dariya Sahib, Sar Bachan of Soami Ji Maharaj, Prem Patra of Huzur Maharaj, The Philosophy of Liberation, Harmony of All Religions, etc........, Comparative Religion, Inter-Faith Studies, Sacred Texts, Gnostic Gospels — The Nag Hammadi Library, Mystic Christianity, Kabbalah, Ahimsa: World Peace, Nonviolence, Prayer, Contemplation, Astral Projection, Near-Death Experiences — NDE's, Out-of-body — OOBE's or soul travel, Union with God.
Sant Mat Satsang PODcasts Are Available For Free On the Web
PODCASTS: Spiritual Awakening Radio PODcasts Available Online: Download or Stream MP3s of Spiritual Awakening Radio at:
SUBSCRIBE TO PODCASTS: Subscribe to Podcasts of Spiritual Awakening Radio:
PODCASTS: Blog Talk Radio/Sant Mat Radio: