Why do you think so many organizations still put corporate news in the center of attraction on their intranets even though they have the ambition to turn their intranets into digital workplaces? Corporate news aren't really that important for people in their daily work. Is it just because the Communications department are in charge of the intranet and confuse their own goals with the goals of the users?
12 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 17 previous comments
- thats just a lack of imaginationSep 15, 2011
- what is?Sep 15, 2011
- Lot of things already been said here. I too find that Communications is hard to talk with, most of them just don't get the "whole social intranet thing". They just want to broadcast.
So vital is to add operations/business as a stakeholder and start talking task driven intranets, collaboration and daily work. Hopefully communications will see the bigger picture then.Sep 15, 2011
- Great discussion. And finally I can see a good use for Google+! I think one of the reasons for so many intranets having news as their focus is that it has become a kind of safe, de-facto standard. If you take a look at these intranet home pages, you will see that most of them are predominantly online newsletters http://www.ibforum.com/ibf-24/my-beautiful-intranet-2011/. So when an organisation is looking to redesign their intranet, many of them look at what's been done by other organisations and use that as their starting point.
And you are right - if the goal of an intranet is to become a 'digital workplace' or a place where people go to do work, how is news going to help this? But what should be on an intranet, if not news? Personally I would like to see a list of tasks, procedures, forms, documents, applications and the work or team sites I need to do my job. These are useful things to have.Sep 16, 2011
- Did you see McGraw-Hill going the full Social Intranet https://plus.google.com/108696582604808530200/posts/FMhpaMAdxNbSep 16, 2011
- Goodness knows Oscar. Intranets have had this fixation for a decade now and it's because news is easy to do and changes but I often wondered if employees had become news junkies which of course they haven't!Sep 22, 2011