Start a hangout
96 followers|256,110 views
Works at David Bowman Photography
Attended University of Wisconsin-Madison
Lives in MInneapolis, MN
96 followers|256,110 views
Assignment photographer represented by National Geographic Creative, a full-service artist management agency.
- David Bowman PhotographyPhotographer, present
LaGrange, Ill - Chicago, Ill - Madison, WI - Wanaaring, Australia - Cork, Ireland - San Francisco, CA - Boulder, CO - Green Bay, WI
National Geographic Creative Photographer based in Minneapolis, MN
Photographer David Bowman hails from Chicago, studied in Madison, traversed the Australian outback via camel, and drifted to the Twin Cities some time thereafter. One of the first people he met after arriving in Minnesota was fashion photographer Richard Avedon. Bowman asked him what advice he might give a struggling artist, and Avedon responded, “Start working." So he did, ultimately shooting for the likes of Vanity Fair, TIME, Glamour, National Geographic, ESPN, and Dwell. In 2013, Bowman graduated with his MFA, Valedictorian of the Graduate School, and became an independent member of National Geographic Creative. In 2014 he was named Best of ASMP by the American Society of Media Photographers.
• 2014 Minnesota State Arts Board: Artist Initiative Grant - LAKEHEAD Project • 2013 MFA Photography, Valedictorian of the Graduate School - Academy of Art University, San Francisco • 2011 International Photography Awards - 1st Place; • 2011 Society of Design Professionals - Member’s Choice Award Finalist; • 2011 Academy of Art MFA Spring Show - 1st Place, Fine Art - Best of Show; • 2009 American Photography Award Annual - Selected; • 2009 Society of Design Professionals - Print Award Finalist; • 2008 Communication Arts Photo Annual; • 2008 PX3 - Prix De La Photographie Paris - 1st Place, Fine Art; • 2008 American Photography Award Annual; • 2008 Minnesota Magazine & Publications Association Award; • 2007 Lucie Awards Nominee - International Photographer of the Year; • 2007 International Photography Awards - Photographer of the Year - Architecture; • 2007 Modern Postcard’s Spotlight Awards - Grand Prize Winner; • 2007 Photo District News Photo Annual; • 2007 PX3 - Prix De La Photographie Paris - 2nd Place; • 2007 Graphis Photography Annual; • 2007 Black & White Spider Awards Nominee; • 2006 American Photography Award Annual; • 2006 International Photography Awards - People + Advertising - Best of Show; • 2006 Photo District News Photo Annual - Design Award; • 2006 AR100 - Top 100 Annual Reports; • 2005 PDN’s World In Focus Contest - Environmental Portraiture; • 2005 Communication Arts Photo Annual; • 2005 Black & White Spider Awards - Architecture; • 2005 International Photography Awards - People + Nature; • 2004 PDN/Nikon Self-Promotion Awards - New Talent; • 2004 PDN’s Pix Digital Imaging Contest - Web Site + Assignment Award; 2004 Communication Arts Photo Annual.
- University of Wisconsin-MadisonJournalism, 1986 - 1991
- University College Cork - National University of Ireland, CorkAnglo Irish Fiction, 1988 - 1989
- Academy of Art UniversityMFA Photography, Valedictorian of Graduate School, 2009 - 2013
David Bowman's +1's are the things they like, agree with, or want to recommend.
Happy Birthday Duane Michals | La Lettre de la Photographie
Duane just turned 80, and our gift is an entire edition of La Lettre dedicated to him. One day in January, 1971, some remarkable photographs