I'm pleased to announce the release of BubbleUPnP 1.8.1 (shortly available on Google Play) and BubbleUPnP Server 0.8.1, bringing many improvements to Chromecast and fixes.
In particular: seeking support in transcoded videos, audio/video track selection, subtitle support (srt and embedded), better 1080p support, and many transcoding failure fixed.
To benefit from most of the new features, you must upgrade to BubbleUPnP Server 0.8.1.
Supported subtitles are:
1. external srt: If the video doesn't otherwise need transcoding to play, BubbleUPnP Server is not required for srt. But if the video is accessed from an UPnP / DLNA media server, it must expose the srt to the app, and not all media servers are able to do this (XBMC/Plex don't; Serviio, Twonky and others do). For non UPnP / DLNA videos (cloud, local), BubbleUPnP can always access srt (if present).
2. embedded in video (mostly MKV): BubbleUPnP Server is required for these to work.
In both cases and unlike solutions used by other software, subtitles are never burnt in the video (causing a lossy reeconde) and use the Chromecast native abitlity to show subtitles. So subtitles never cause reecoding by themselves.
Also of note in this release, is Google Music sync fixed. Only syncing albums is fixed for now which means no playlists.
- support for seeking in transcoded videos
- support for embedded subtitles (mostly found in MKV)
- support for audio and video track selection when several tracks are available in a video
- support transcoding videos to a max bitrate (Settings > Chromecast > Max video bitrate)
- support force transcoding Chromecast supported videos to a lower bitrate to solve stuttering with some high res videos such as 1080p camera videos (Settings > Chromecast > Enforce max video bitrate)
- support transcoding videos to to a specified preset for tweaking server CPU usage (Settings > Chromecast > Video encoding preset)
- transcode mp4 if it contains unsupported codecs
- fixed failure to transcode non-seekable streams such as live TV
- fixed failure to transcode FLAC with embedded album art
- fixed very high server CPU usage and stutter transcoding 1080p videos
Other Chromecast changes (not related to BubbleUPnP Server):
- hitting Stop in the Now Playing screen while the Chromecast is idle makes it go back to the Home screen
- support for external srt subtitles. For UPnP/DLNA videos, this is only possible if the media server used
exposes subtitles to BubbleUPnP (for details, see About/Help > Tips > Video and subtitles)
- do not proxy cloud media sent from third party apps or added with "Add Stream URL". This allows
to exit the app and still have Chromecast playing the media
- removed slow fade animation when viewing images
- fixed FLAC stored on Google Drive (transcoded by BubbleUPnP Server) not playing
- fixed rmvb and possibly some other formats not playing when served by some media servers
- fixed Ogg Vorbis not playing natively
- fixed rare crash on stop or pause
- notify updates of new versions of BubbleUPnP Server. Also appear in Settings > Chromecast
- browsing SkyDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox folders associate srt subtitles files (if present) to videos
- fixed Google Music album sync not working. Playlist sync is still broken, thus there are no playlists
- fixed Audio Cast failure to properly seek past 35 minutes
- fixed track advance broken with Shuffle Library
- fixed local media server not listing .mts and .m2ts files
- fixed "com.android.music.metachanged" intent incorrect "duration" field