Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Andy Yates
59 followers
59 followers
About
Andy's posts

Post has attachment
I finished my first violin. First I was shocked that nothing broke when I tightened the strings and then I was shocked that it actually sounds like a violin.
Photo

Post has attachment
I wish is took a picture before I started. It started a 3/4" block. It was much darker almost black. I bet it will get darker as it oxidizes.
Photo

Post has attachment
I made a set of luthier clamps. I cut 1" lengths of 1" dowel. Then made a jig by drilling a 1" hole in some scrap to hold the dowel centered while drilled the holes for the bolt. I used stick-on furniture felt to cover the ends.
Photo
Photo
11/22/14
2 Photos - View album

Post has attachment
So I took a six month break from the violin. I hope to finish over Thanksgiving and Christmas. The top is basically finished. This afternoon I'm going to make a bunch of luthier clamps so I can glue the top to the ribs.
I have a block of ebony for the finger board, but I made the mistake of looking on Amazon where you can get one already carved for less than $20. Hours of carving hard wood or 20 bucks. Tough decision.
Photo

Post has attachment
Anyone know when a Windows build of Python will come out that includes OpenSSL 1.0.1.h which fixes the MITM issue?  I see in the issue tracker that the change has been committed and the issue closed. https://bugs.python.org/issue21671

Post has attachment
More or less done with hollowing out the top. To protect the face while carving out the back I did the work on top of a bed of saw dust in a gallon ziplock bag. Next step is to cut the f-holes. 
Photo
Photo
5/11/14
2 Photos - View album

Post has attachment
Hollowing out the top. My plans suggested carving the bass bar in the top. I figure I can try it and if it doesn't work out I can always remove it and make it the traditional way.
Photo
Photo
4/12/14
2 Photos - View album

Post has shared content
Tiny violin shop inside of a human-sized violin!

And all the little ones are playable!

http://bit.ly/1cbF7FS
Photo

Post has attachment
I'm bending the purfling on an old soldering iron my dad used in the fifties to install 2-way radios in police cars. I wrapped some sheet copper around it to increase the radius a bit.
Photo
Photo
2/23/14
2 Photos - View album

Post has attachment
I've been stuck for weeks on the front purfling groove. I did the back with a combination of knives, gouges and homemade cutters and just wasn't happy with the results. The specialized tools cost around $100. I didn't want to spend that much on tools I might never use again.
I got a 3D printer for Christmas so I thought I would try making one more tool. I designed one similar to one I saw online that mounts to a Dremel. That, an engraving bit and patients worked out fairly well and is much nicer than the back.
I'm so glad that's done! Theres just very little room for error. 
PhotoPhotoPhoto
2/17/14
3 Photos - View album
Wait while more posts are being loaded