Celebrate Pi Day with this YUMMY Shepherd's Pie.
Make it extra healthy by keeping the skin on the potatoes when you mash them. The potato skins contain a lot of the nutrients found in the potato.
1½ lbs. red potatoes, washed and cut into ½ inch cubes, skin on
¼ cup low fat milk
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp black pepper
1 lb. ground beef, 95% lean
1 Tbsp garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup frozen pearl onions
1½ cups carrots, diced small
1 can no-salt-added corn, drained and rinsed
1½ cups frozen peas
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Adjust rack to center of oven.
2. Put potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Put on the stove over high heat and cover. Bring to a boil, uncover, and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Strain potatoes and return to pot that is now removed from heat. Add milk and butter and mash with a potato masher. Season with black pepper as needed.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the meat filling. Over medium high heat, cook ground beef until most pieces are light brown. Remove to large bowl.
4. Add olive oil, frozen pearl onions, and carrots to pan. Saute for 5 minutes or until frozen onions are heated through.
5. To the bowl, add onions, carrots, corn, and peas. Mix well to combine. Add Worcestershire sauce, thyme and rosemary and stir.
6. Empty bowl into 9-inch pie dish that has been coated in cooking spray. Top with mashed potatoes, being sure to cover the edges to create a seal.
7. Place pie on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Remove and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Total calories: 270 cals
Total fat: 8 g
Saturday fat: 3 g
Protein: 21 g
Total Carbohydrate: 28 g
Dietary fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 190 mg #piday #pieday #healthyeats #healthyrecipes