My old pal Steve Bissette weighs in on the Marvel-Kirby Heirs decision, a history of abuse, and the power of fan protest:
29 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 15 previous comments
- #1 I'm sick of seeing people beat up on the Kirby heirs. Jack would have wanted his creation's royalties to go to his family. Period. Even petty royalties they give for licensing art now would have set his family up for generations now. And that's all Jack truly wanted was to do what he loved and feed his family.
#2, the "Kirby Estate" doesn't necessarily mean his FAMILY. It's about his legacy too. Could you imagine what the Jack Kirby Museum could do with royalties from Marvel? That would be amazing.
I'm all for a boycott. I'm also for a creator boycott too or strike. I've written my thoughts extensively here: http://www.djcoffman.com/2011/08/03/justice-of-jack-kirby/
But I think there has to be a demand or an endgame.
Marvel has to agree to at least ONE of the following demands:
Option #1 - Give the Kirby estate money as a retroactive royalty of sorts. They weren't asking for it in the legal stuff. That's not necessarily the "family" mind you. They are all grown and have their own $. If you don't believe the family deserves anything then demand #2 is...
Option #2: Set up something in honor of Jack Kirby's contributions and give a retroactive royalty to a charity or foundation.
Option #3: Give credit where it is due. This could cost them NOTHING but a nano-second of a letterer's time. For things that Jack Kirby and Stan Lee supposedly "co-created", or anything that Kirby Pitched... it should at least have his name on it instead of just "Stan Lee Presents"
Just ONE of those three things would be doing something right here. I don't expect it to ever happen. Nobody at Marvel has ever wanted to step up and be a voice inside.Aug 3, 2011
- My point wasn't people should boycott Marvel, but that the amount of money it'd take to set up that fund from every Kirby or Marvel fan wouldn't come to much if each Kirby and/or Marvel fan contributed.
But I'm all for all of 's suggestions.Aug 3, 2011
- I...was actually talking to him about this last night! (I'm attending a summer ccs workshop. Steve Bissette is so cool irl. O_O)Aug 3, 2011
- I really like's suggestion of an endgame. Is anyone reading "Kirby Genesis" from Dynamite? Its not mind blowing, but its a fun read. Bissette suggested finding alternate titles to buy so the shops don't end up getting hit because of a Marvel boycott.
Kirby Genesis seems to be a fitting title, because
A. its inspired by Kirby ideas and gives him credit
B. its from a non-Marvel companyAug 4, 2011
- That's a good point!Aug 4, 2011
- cool!Aug 26, 2011