9 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 13 previous comments
- Premiering on the OWN Network in October is a documentary that reveals the damage mainstream media does to women. The documentary is called Miss Representation and was created/directed by Jennifer Siebel Newsom. Her intent was to show expose how American media erodes female self-worth.
"In the film Newsom (California Lt. Gov Gavin Newsom's wife), Katie Couric, Gloria Steinem and others lament the way today's TV, film and Web content teach us that our worth is based on our desirability. The film shows how women leaders are trivialized (witness Glenn Beck calling Hilary Clinton a "bitch"), and notes Hollywood greenlights few female protagonists (and fewer still whose happy ending doesn't involve landing a man). It also reminds us that these movies and shows keep getting made because we watch them. Let's hope Newsom's debut helps us change more than the channel."Sep 17, 2011
- I realize this is an older post but its something i deeply consider often..
While the overt kind of verbal violence, i.e. Glen Beck calling Hilary a bitch, is easy to identify, misogyny exists in ever subtle shades of grey. The subtler aspects of being consider "less valuable" as a person are not so blatant.
Role / Gender identity is a double edge sword and it cuts women on both sides. How does a culture celebrate beauty and intelligence at the same moment. Does so pretty and still doing homework sell? Is being smart more valauble then being pretty and why can't we communicate both?
Ultimately culture shapes the pathways for identity choices. Lady Gaga and Katie Couric may not be in the same boat, but they are in fact on the same river. Every child needs to pass through the evolution of their own personality / identity but it is helping them to create the largest possible vision for their life that is important.
Yet life is long and by 6 years old most of our fundamental concepts about the world and our place in it are fixed. How do we prepare girls for the vision of what and how their life be can. The focus should be on our uniqueness within a world of diversity, the value of our expressions to nourish each other and our contributions towards the greater good. - within the spectrum of infinite diversity we are all the same...
What does the holistic celebration of womanhood look like?
Why is that vision so compelling that girls should aspire to it?
food for thought.Nov 7, 2011
- Sean - you need your own blog. That is all.Nov 10, 2011
- Liz, forgive my blathering. I appreciate your feedback.Nov 10, 2011
- That wasn't a criticism! What you wrote is awesome. I hope you start a blog so we can hear more from you.Nov 11, 2011
- Liz, YOU are AWESOME. It will be a long time if ever, that I have the grace, elegance, sensitivity and wit that shines through all of your countless expressions. I took your input seriously.. and started.
your feedback is always appreciated.Nov 11, 2011