People have been asking about how Messenger will be affected by Hangouts, the new communications product Google launched today. Hangouts replaces--and improves on the functionality of Messenger. We are working quickly to bring your Messenger conversation history into Hangouts. Until then we will continue to keep Messenger available for users in the Google+ mobile apps.
94 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 95 previous comments
- how come? I have removed all upgrades to Hangouts and GTalk is still working fine. How does your inability to send messages manifest itself? I'm holding on to it as long as it's still working. And then I'm off somewhere else.Jun 26, 2013
- Knock Knock, sorry but this is not the way it should be if you replace Messenger with Hangouts, did not place a shortcut to the Programs, did not inform the user and don't import the messge-history. I have friends who are not amused about the situation that they dont can post any messages with messenger anymore, i first thought it was a bug too, and replced G+ with the origin version and dont allow updates. I will test it now but Hangouts was declared as group-chat,images- and video-platform, not as replaced new messenger!
You should fast reenable the input-line fpr messenger and let the user do their communication with this, if you dont want users grab other programs like whatsapp and so on.
Messenger does not uses so much system-performance and battery-power like g+ and hangoutsJun 28, 2013
- my google plus was up dated and now i can not send messeges with messenger so i tried the hang outs put the pics that i send are coming up as links on the other end and are a real pain to try to open . is there a way to get messenger to work again on my apple products. in my opinion this switching of messenger to hangout was a big fail. hangouts is not all google makes it out to be.Jul 7, 2013
- , I was actually thinking the opposite. I think Hangouts is a good app. However, since its launching, the Messenger app and icon on Android have not been removed through an update or something.
, any chance users will see the old app/icon removed? Or am I missing a lot on my Nexus 4 already?Jul 15, 2013
- the way Google has handled talk/hangout situation is very unfortunate. Talk was a stable product and not in beta. Shoving Hangouts down users without providing critical functionalities that Talk provided is just poor, poor from Google, poor design from the analysts and poor coding by the devs. Someone should have caught the fact that Hangouts doesn't do a lot of things that Talk did. Its a huge step down.
If this is the direction Google is headed I have to start searching for alternate services which will offer me such functionalities without having to worry about google pushing everything into Google+ or replacing nice products with poor quality ones.Jul 27, 2013
- Months later and I still strongly dislike Hangouts.
"issue with Hangout on the desktop browser version: the default list of contacts seems to be made up of people with whom I have emailed most frequently, in recent weeks. The previous Google Chat / GTalk version showed contacts with whom I chatted most frequently, sorted by online status. There is a reason why there is only a tiny overlap between the group of people with whom I email and the group of people with whom I chat. The former group (frequent emailers) are either not chat users or I don't have a chatting type of informal relationship with them. Having this group show up in my Hangouts list by default helps me in no way." ~ ychromosome
Also, my uncle used to be always in my chat list and online most of the time. Now he's never in my list. And when I type his name into the New Hangout box I get 9 people with the same name who are not my uncle. These people are ALL STRANGERS. I have never sent an e-mail, phone call, or text message to ANY of these people. WHY would anyone think total strangers as search results was a good idea?Sep 26, 2013