one plus one
Shared publicly•View activity
- If you were in Leiden, which is crammed with cool Museums... why would you want to go to Amsterdam?Jun 3, 2012
- Because no one told me that Leiden was so cool! I wanted to visit the ethnology museum too, even though about half of it is closed, but I didn't have time. So now I'm in Amsterdam, got lost in the Vondelpark for a while, and am tired. Gonna hit up the super-cheap Indonesian restaurant around the corner and hope it's delicious. Tomorrow... Anne Frank house, maybe? Begijnhof? I dunno.Jun 3, 2012
- The Tropenmuseum in Amsterdam happens to have an exhibition on death, it's about the cultures surrounding death worldwide so it may not count as Thanatourism.
http://www.tropenmuseum.nl/-/MUS/66739/Tropenmuseum/Exhibitions-Events/DeathMatters [Caveat emptor: haven't seen it so I don't know if it is any good]Jun 3, 2012
- Oh poo, the museum isn't open on Monday. Tomorrow's the only full day I have (since my flight is late Tuesday morning).Jun 3, 2012
- Dang! Well at least you get to enjoy some traditional dutch weather ;-)
The Anne Frank house is of course impressive, especially if you've read the book/seen the movie.
There's still quite a few of buildings to see that are older than the US, and then there's the ever-popular torturemuseum.nl which may be more thanatouristic.Jun 4, 2012
- I've actually been to the torture museum. And totally forgot until you mentioned it. Also, I think I went to the sex museum. Anyway, it was 13 years ago...
I'm just enjoying the traditional Dutch roomboter stroopkoeken - whatever they're made from, they're fantastic. :)Jun 4, 2012