I can't really understand all the hate between Unity and GNOME Shell. Come on, they are only two different interfaces, the apps you use are exactly the same.
36 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 23 previous comments
- So i'm sitting on 11.10 and would like to install Gnome Shell, just for the sake of being able to switch back and forth, are there any issues i might run into?
Cause i tried to install Gnome Shell in 11.04 from the gnome3 ppa and it was, let's try to remain friendly here, not as expected :P
I ended up with a really slow GnomeShell, my Ubuntu Classic Session was just POOF, and Unity seemed to have fallen back to a Theme that is so old i wouldn't even know the name of the Theme (or maybe it was the GTK3 Fallback Theme, it was ugly, that's what i remember).
All of that is not really a Problem since i always have such things done in a special Partition for the sake of playing around, i'm just curious. Will the multiple session experience be a smooth one in Oneiric right now? Or should i wait a bit longer or make special preparations?
And while we're at the subject, maybe you can't even tell me about that but how does the Elementary Pantheon Session play into all of this? Would it be much work to have like a holy trinity Desktop where i can just pick whatever Session i feel like using without breaking each other?Sep 1, 2011
- Unity vs Shell aside, the Atayana "enhanced" gnome experience with it's loads of patches, many of which have caused serious regressions, are still quite different.Sep 1, 2011
- I am running a 11.10 livecd right now, with gnome-shell. Haven't experienced issues. I think I've been bought :p.
You just need to apt-get install gnome-shell, then log out, select "Gnome" as the session, and log back in.
with my limited testing, the only regression I've seen is that the fancy scrollbars don't work in firefox. Gnome3 seems to be running in ubuntu 11.10 much better than it does on Fedora 15 (probably to be expected, since this is a newer version?), and the Ubuntu-tweaks to the Adwaita theme look quite nice to me too.
Soon as i'm done with my current project, you can easily guess what I'm installing.Sep 1, 2011
- Thanks for the insight, i'm gonna give it a Shot.Sep 1, 2011
- Pantheon is not ready yet. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and it did not play very well. However, Unity and Gshell are working perfectly well.Sep 2, 2011
- That's too bad. Well i have GnomeShell and Unity to spend some time with now, so that will keep me busy ^^Sep 2, 2011
Add a comment...