I used to love you. I've been a subscriber for years, but in 3 days my subscription will expire, and this year I'm not renewing. You asked (in your email), so here's why...
1) Last.FM restricts playback on my Logitech Squeezebox and GoogleTV devices to only play on a single device, so I can't listen to you in my whole house. That's how I listen to most of my music these days, so more and more I'm finding that it's not Last.FM I'm choosing, even though you're on my home menu.
2) I have two little kids, and every once in a while I play them kids music. Sometimes we have friends over dinner and I put on a few hours of lounge trip-hoppy jazz. Unfortunately those were scrobbled, and now my entire Last.FM recommendations and stations have become corrupted, filled with cheesy lounge music, christmas carols and kids music. I have not been able to find anyway to repair it short of ditching 3 years of careful Last.FM grooming and starting all over.
3) Google Music. They weren't around before, but frankly now, they've got you beat. I've got 16,000 tracks in GMusic, it plays seemlessly on all my devices, never any ads, all my music, and unlimited playlists or random shuffles. Last.FM scrobbles the music I play, but I never understood why you don't scan my drives to see ALL the music I own and play some of the stuff in my library that hasn't been scrobbled. With Google Music I pick a genre, do a shuffle and it's got everything. And there's still a like/dislike function for controlling frequency.
So... I'm sorry www.Last.FM - You had such great potential:
- The social aspects
- The live tours calendars
- The Last.FM Artist Bio information (which now appears in my GMusic)
Good luck in the future. I really hope you make it.
Great story today on Digiday about our FREE make-your-own-mobile-app service at www.monk.ee !
I haven't "played" foursquare since I got bored of it months ago, but Latitude just does it "right", and i could see myself starting to auto)check-in again...
The EcoRoamer (and us!) are going to be on TV tonight at 9pm on Discovery's Travel Channel. They interviewed us for their special: "Killer RV Upgrades".
It turned out really well, and if you want a sneak peak, you can watch it online, here:
Jay + Alice + Kurt + Maya Papaya
- Infinite Monkeys Mobile AppsTribal Head of the Humans, 2011 - present
- EcoRoamer Carbon Neutral Global Expedition VehicleChief Designer, 2007 - 2011
- The Muskoka Foundationco-founder, 2009 - 2011
Serial entrepreneur, Global Philanthropist, Overland Adventurer, Father, writer and all around nice guy, Jay Shapiro has a solid track record of successes in each of these areas of his bizarre life.
As founder and CEO of "BLUE", Jay bootstrapped the Digital Marketing firm from a small Singapore startup of 3 people, to a globally dominant force in the advertising industry, with offices in London, New York, Tokyo, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai and Palo Alto. BLUE won the coveted "Agency Of The Year" award for 2009, beating out all the majors less than 10 years after founding the agency.
As the president of the Interactive Advertising Bureau, Jay was one of the pioneers of the Internet industry in Asia. He is a regular columnist and keynote speaker in publications and conferences globally.
TRUSTED BOARD MEMBER:
As a seasoned and trusted executive, Jay has participated or advised several boards including:
Linkstorm - Revolutionary Online Ad Technology
Affle - Mobile marketing platform
WPP Digital - Global board of the digital holdings of the WPP Group
Ad:Tech Singapore - Home of S.E. Asia's best conference
Global Vote - United Nations resolutions put to a global public vote
As co-founder of The Muskoka Foundation, Jay has created a unique model for 21st century philanthropy by connecting successful entrepreneurs with those just starting out in developing communities. The Muskoka Foundation's fleet of over 150 Overland Explorers are now traveling the world adhering to the philosophy of "Use What You Know, To Do Good As You Go."
As chief designer of The EcoRoamer, Jay developed the world's first open-source, carbon neutral, family sized, 4x4 production expedition vehicle made entirely out of recycled and sustainable materials. Jay and his family are now on a multi-year adventure driving the EcoRoamer around the planet.
CRM, Database Marketing/Direct Marketing, Serial Entrepreneurialism, Global Social Enterprise, Overland Expedition Vehicles, Web Self-Publishing, Mobile Ventures, Insomnia
- National University of SingaporeCommunication Studies & Computer Science, 1998
- National Univesity of SingaporeMBA