Just got this book from my good friend John Paul Reid himself at Las Vegas Amazing Comic Con. I can honestly say 'I knew him when...' since he used to teach with my wife in Las Vegas. I'm so looking forward to reading it!
I've recently re-read most of them thanks to my wonderful wife finding them on Amazon and getting them for me for my birthday. They are still hilarious and still make me laugh. Peck has that rare gift of writing stories that are not only fit for both kids and adults to read, but that anybody can relate to and enjoy at some level.
The books are semi-autobiographical (with, no doubt, times when he 'stretches the truth just a little bit' as Mark Twain was wont to do.) They are reminiscences of the times some fun, some not so fun, that he spent with his best friend Luther Wesley Vinson who preferred to be called 'Soup'. They take place in the 1920's in a tiny Vermont town that in some ways, was a lot like the tiny cowtown that I grew up near. Despite the setting, which may be about as relatable to some readers as Camelot would be, there is so much warmth and humor in these books that I recommend them to anyone, even if they aren't nostalgic for 'the good ole days'.
In my opinion, what makes a book a great book, or even a favorite one, is that you can read it more than once and still enjoy it. Peck's Soup books certainly qualify.
- ETA-InternationalNevada Representative, 2015 - presentDiscuss the benefits of membership at local events; Set up displays; Proctor Certification Exams;
- Springs PreserveDocent, 2008 - presentVolunteer to maintain the garden areas; answer questions of visitors
- Enfield Enhanced EnvironsCo-Owner, 2015 - presentConsult, plan, design, install and maintain indoor and outdoor home and business improvements; Care for plants in a holistic and Earth friendly way; Make the personality and interests of the people who live and work in a space become part of that space.
- Tufel MediaSocial Media Manager, 2012 - 2015Manage and curate social media pages for individuals and companies; Develop and maintain social contact with customers of those companies; write articles and blog entries for Tufel Media's pages.
- Sears, Roebuck and CompanySales Associate, 2006 - 2007Electronics Sales
- CompUSAService Writer, 2009 - 2009Interact with customers at Computer Repair Desk to process repair orders.
- Circuit CitySales/Product Flow, 2010 - 2011Recover sales floor; unload trucks; Organize Backstock; answer customer questions.
- Blockbuster LLCAssociate, 2006 - 2006Process rentals and recommend movies and games.
- DatanamicsTelephone Tech Support, 2009 - 2009Manage Internet communications in hotels around the country; help hotel guests with Internet connectivity problems.
- College of Southern NevadaStudent Worker, 2011 - 2011Help set up and maintain experiments in greenhouses.
- Natural Resources Conservation ServiceRangeland Management Specialist, 2000 - 2006Consult, plan and supervise conservation projects with private landowners and various other agencies; educate the public about conservation issues and general life sciences subjects; Led a team of fellow NRCS employees to conduct a Natural Resources Inventory across Oklahoma to improve GIS and other database information; Proctored highs school students in the National Land Judging Contest;
- Enfield Ranch Co.Ranch Hand, 1988 - 2000Raise corn, alfalfa, sorghum, beef cattle, chickens etc.; Build and repair barbed wire fence; Maintain water wells and stock tanks; ride horses to wrangle cattle; repair tractors and other equipment; help monitor rangeland health to determine proper stocking rates and cattle movement; etc.
Update! I am graduating from CSN this year (2015) with a Certificate of Achievement in Ornamental Horticulture with a focus on Landscape Management. The landscaping business I thought of is developing into a holistic, Earth friendly, whole property improvement and maintenance business. God's always led me to help other people, and this is the best way I can do it with the education and experiences He's led me through.
- Community College of Southern NevadaOrnamental Horticulture, 2011 - 2015Traditional Plant ID and Care; Xeric Plant ID and Care; Plant Propagation; Arboriculture (tree care); Soil Fertility and Plant Nutrition; Integrated Pest Management; Annual Color Concepts (designing displays and planting beds using annual flowers); Irrigation Management and Design; Turfgrass Management; Plant Pathology; Intro to Acting (gotta be a well-rounded student you know) etc.
- University of Nebraska–LincolnRange Science and Agronomy, 1992 - 1996Plant Taxonomy (the art and science of identifying plants using dichotomous keys and physical characteristics); Soil Science; Field Agronomy (raising grain and other crops); Natural Resources Policy; Animal Science; Macro and Micro Economics; Business Math; Physics (especially as they relate to irrigation, machinery and other practical applications); Seed Science; Organic Chemistry; Inorganic Chemistry; Performing Arts (more culture stuff); Great Plains Anthropology; Scientific Greek and Latin; etc.
- Arthur County High SchoolTrying to Figure Out What I Wanted to Be When I Grew Up, 1989 - 1992Your general High School classes except that I also took Choir; Band (saxophone); Art (from an award winning painter); One Act Theater; Debate and Persuasive Speaking; Wood Shop/Home Ec. (when I was in school, both girls and boys had to take one semester of each); Beginning French; Programming in BASIC; etc. I also learned a great deal outside of school through the 4-H program in which I tried almost every project group they had except for showing livestock.
- TechSkills-Las VegasInformation Technology CompTIA certs, 2006 - 2007Desktop and Laptop PC repair, upgrading and building; The basics of programming in C++ and other such programs; Network Administration; Wireless Technologies; etc.
Free Week - Springs Preserve Strikes Back: A Star Wars inspired affair
"Strike back" at summer at the Springs Preserve! Join us as the Springs Preserve transforms into a galaxy (not so) far, far away with free a
Reckless Ambitions (The Medford Family Chronicles Book 1) by John Paul R...
The beloved, highly respected, and automatically obeyed Palamaran Emperor John Cardillion III suddenly has died without naming a successo...
Planting native and naturalized desert plants from a Forest Service Nurs...
Catclaw acacia Acacia greggii This will grow into a large shrub that has the ability to grow to be about 40 feet tall, but in our Mojave Des
MIAMI BEACH: 100 YEARS OF MAKING WAVES | Documentary
Miami Beach turned 100 in 2015. In honor of the Miami Beach Centennial, the documentary MIAMI BEACH: 100 YEARS OF MAKING WAVES will air on M
This week, green beans are only ninety-nine cents a pound
Pulling, picking, snipping and digging. Harvesting home grown produce is physical work. After forty-five minutes of bending over picking bus
Purchase Calcium Nitrate to Help Manage Tomato Blossom End-Rot
The Rusted Vegetable Garden is about everything gardening. It contains photos, videos and information to show you how to vegetable garden.
cottage kitchen gardens - Nashville Landscape Design Services Quigley's ...
Modern Cottage Kitchen Gardens page help with ideas. Example of a Cedar Box Cottage Kitchen Garden.