Safety is key when troubleshooting electrical distribution systems. We saw this scene while driving down the road in Equatorial Guinea last year. Those are live wires the individual is working on, as was made evident by the shower of sparks erupting from the line moments after this picture was taken.
During time in country, we heard numerous horror stories from people of their friends and relatives dying because they didn't understand the dangers of electricity and electrical distribution systems.
One such story was of one of the local worker's grandmother dying because she didn't understand the dangers of high voltage electrical wires and was using them to hang wet clothing out to dry!
The local company who we were contracted out for saw the need for better education and was taking active steps to try and prevent such accidents in the future, working hard to educate its employees on proper safety practices not only at work but also at home. Additionally, the company I work for, +TTSTampa
, has opened up its safety related wiki pages (and other pages) for free viewing by the public. http://www.myodesie.com/index.php/wiki/index/returnEntry/id/3026#Power
While this doesn't put the information directly into the hands of people working on electrical distribution systems, at least it is one more free resource that maybe could be passed on.