- one hour to theme stuff
- takes our money makes a fortune
- must sort out any issues the user may possibly have
- needs encouragement with 1star ratings
- given we spend 0.99 cents on it, we believe the themer needs to do everything and second guess what an issue may be. I own him for my 0.99 cents.
The life of a themer how it really is
- 20+ hours spend on average per week supporting his themes with updates and user support. The usual themer has a day job so all of the private time gets consumed.
- new themes take weeks to do. A well thought out one approx 100 hr/work to launch
- a further 2-3 hours per theme and week to keep up to date with CM11 and Google
- 50-100 downloads on average. Most returned with backup by user. Remaining legit users: 20-30 tops for the average theme.
- reads reviews of his work during bathroom breaks. Sees a one star rating because one icon isn't themed from a random ROM he has never heard of.
- lunch break: sees new themes released by other themers in Google+. Needless to say, copy his code, implement his ideas, don't give any sort of credit. Didn't even have the courtesy to ask which used to be themers code of honor
- wants to help a newbe themer with some issues. Can't because a user email pops up "I have found a bug" as if that is an achievement by itself and pictures the user smiling when he sent that.
- evening after work. Getting yelled at by family who demand his or her attention.
Theming used to be fun. It still is but the strings attached not so much and there is a shift to one side I do not agree with. Love it or leave it right?
Don't you guys think something is broken here? I do. And given I am to old to hope that I can change this all, I have come to the conclusion that I will a step back and consider what this means for me. Maybe I will cease theming, maybe stop engaging with users, maybe go back to my roots. Making themes. For me.
This is not a desperate act from me to get your "oh please no" comments please spare me from these.
It is meant to show the life of the many themers out there to you. If one of you ignorant thief's - including users and themers - that steal, complain, demand and urge reads this and reconsiders his or her approach - i have done my job. Putting realism, honesty, fairness and fun back into this whole mess that once was a small group of gurus making android prettier. For the fun of it, not the ratings, the next idea, copying other people's work or coming up with marketing gibberish that means nothing so they can sell one more copy.
Thanks for listening.
The Flagship Battle has started. To welcome the launch of the Galaxy Note 4, we are giving away a free 64GB Sandstone Black OnePlus One and 100 Invites!
1. Share this post
2. Tag at least 3 friends in the comments.
3. Fill in this form: http://bit.ly/FlagshipBattle1
To learn more about this giveaway, please click here: http://bit.ly/FlagshipBattleR1
Download music, movies, games, software! The Pirate Bay - The galaxy's m...
Download music, movies, games, software and much more. The Pirate Bay is the world's largest bittorrent tracker.
Delight Custom Firmwares: Dropbox problems on Symbian
Hello there, you may have noticed that some Symbian apps like cuteBox, Dropian or FilesPlus can't login into Dropbox anymore. I recently rea