AMAZING FACTS ABOUT CURRENT FORMULA 1™ ENGINES
✿ All F1 engines are naturally aspirated V8's of 2400cc
✿ Engines are limited to 18,000rpm
✿ Maximum piston acceleration is approximately 7,000g (humans pass out at 7-8 g) which puts a load of over 3 tons on each connecting rod.
✿ The piston only moves around 50 mm but will accelerate from 0 - 100 kmh and back to 0 again in around 0.0025 seconds.
✿ The weight is exactly 95kg (each manufacturer easily reaches this regulated minimum weight)
✿ If a connecting rod let go of its piston at maximum engine speed, the piston would have enough energy to travel vertically over 100 metres.
✿ If a water hose were to blow off, the complete cooling system would empty in just over a second.
✿ Engine blocks are constructed of forged aluminium alloy, because of the weight advantages it gives in comparison to steel. Other materials would maybe give some extra advantages, but to limit costs, the FIA has forbidden all non-ferro materials.
✿ Crankshaft and piston rods are Iron based for strength.
✿ At its maximum pace the current V8 engines consume around 60 litres of petrol for 100km of racing.
✿ It's not exactly known how much oil such a top engine contains, but this oil is for 70% in the engine, while the other 30% is in a dry-sump lubrication system that changes oil within the engine three to four times a minute.
✿ Before its first track time and after each race, each engine is tested on an engine dyno to validate its performance and identify problems. #F1 #Formula1 #F1Facts