Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Bonavista Living
11 followers -
Restoring & preserving the existing built heritage of Bonavista, NL systematically protecting & capitalizing upon its heritage resources, while creating a more livable community for all.
Restoring & preserving the existing built heritage of Bonavista, NL systematically protecting & capitalizing upon its heritage resources, while creating a more livable community for all.

11 followers
About
Posts

Post has attachment
The Harrison Hicks house (circa 1953) is located in the heart of Rolling Cove at the end of a narrow laneway known as Hicks Drung, The house is surrounded by traditional neighbourhood foot paths that zig zag through the densely packed houses within this historic neighbourhood.

The Harrison Hicks home is one of the more modern homes in Rolling Cove constructed only a few years after Confederation with Canada. This style of home marked a time when the `modern` North American style bungalows consisting of one and half storeys became a popular building style throughout Newfoundland.
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Do you know where the first telephone switchboard was located in Bonavista?

It was operated by Arthur Edward Mifflin (Ned Mifflin) and his wife Dorothy from their home on Humby's Lane between 1955 to 1959. The home was originally built by Ned's father Charles Claud Mifflin, locally know as Charley Mifflin in 1919. http://ow.ly/LgIDh
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Albert Sweetland (1881 -1958), a well-known local fisherman, built his home around the time of his marriage to Margaret Ellen Abbott in 1906. The #home was #built near #Bonavista Harbour in an area of town called Sweetland’s Bank, now a municipal #heritage district. Find out more about the Sweetland house at http://ow.ly/LgC7x
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
All hands busy today installing new #heritage #windows at Thomas Randell house (built circa 1899). These beautiful windows were #handcrafted by #BonavistaCreativeWorkshop #house #home #crafts #carpentry #carpenters #WoodWorking #wood #window #WoodWorking #millwork #reno #vacation #property #preserved #restored #restoration
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Check out this third floor room in the Henry Tremblett #house. There is absolutely no wasted space in this #beautiful home. Don't you just love the brick chimney? And what about that original #door? It's a #faux birdseye #maple door which was handpainted by one of the Strathie's. Ordinary less expensive wood was embellished with techniques such as this to create the look of an expensive exotic wood. The Strathie's were well known for these types of #painting #techniques. #heritage #restoration
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
The William Fifield house (constructed in the late 1800's) is located on Ryan's Hill across the street from the Ryan Premises National Historic Site of Canada and overlooking beautiful Bonavista Harbour. This late 19th century home was built for William Fifield son of George Fifield and his wife Lillian Power by Lewis Little father of Bonavista Sea Captain Lewis Clyde Little.

Based on its age and location the home likely had six over six and three over three windows. Currently the home has a sizable addition which will be partially removed by Bonavista Living during the restoration process. Through the removal of this addition, the original roof line of the home, a mid-pitch gable, will be restored. The home will also see the installation of traditional clapboard, a cedar shake roof and wide window trims with decorative rain caps. Once completed the home will be used as a bed and breakfast.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
The Magistrate’s house was constructed in the mid 1940’s for the arrival of Magistrate Garland Penny and his wife Elsie. Garland was born in the nearby community of English Harbour, Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Elsie was originally from Topsail, Conception Bay South, Newfoundland. Garland, a former school teacher, and Elsie were both active members of the community. Both participated in many church related functions and Elsie was heavily involved with the local Girl Guides. Garland also wrote many articles for the local paper. Many of these articles can be found at the Bonavista library. Magistrate Penny left Bonavista in 1957 and was replaced by Magistrate Brace at that time.

Located on Coster Street, Bonavista's new municipal heritage district, the home is situated in and around an historically upper middle class neighborhood overlooking Bonavista Harbour pond. The Magistrate's house was constructed by the Government of Newfoundland to be used by anyone in the Magistrate post in the Bonavista area. The position of magistrate was a well respected and vital position in many communities and thus a home was built reflecting stature and prominence.

Currently clad in vinyl siding, with vinyl windows and trims the home will go through a significant exterior restoration. Once fully restored the home will see traditional clapboard and cedar shakes reinstated as well as six over one windows with wood trims.

The home is currently divided into affordable rental units and will continue serving this purpose for the foreseeable future.

https://www.bonavistaliving.com/magistrate-s-house.html 
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
We are very excited to announce that Bonavista Living's new website is live! This new site allows you to view our properties, read about their history and follow the restoration process. We hope you enjoy the new site. Please feel free to send us comments or feedback. www.bonavistaliving.com 
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
An interesting and well-preserved example of a 19th century double house, this building was designed by James Ryan and constructed in 1879-1880 by Richard Ash. The ‪#‎structure‬ is possibly the best surviving example of a 19th century ‪#‎Newfoundland‬ outport ‪#‎merchant‬'s staff house. The structure and the people who lived in it were closely connected to the nearby Ryan Premises, now a National Historic Site, and to the history of the Bonavista area.
The James Ryan Tenement House is a large two and one half storey, steep gabled, double ‪#‎house‬ with elaborate barge board and finials. Each house has a chimney, two fireplaces, a kitchen and parlour on the main floor and three bedrooms, with 2-3 other ‪#‎undeveloped‬ rooms in the half storey. The #structure also has a large linhay running the full length of the rear facade, providing large, separate porches for each house.
‪#‎bonavista‬ ‪#‎restoration‬ ‪#‎nlhistory‬ ‪#‎preservation‬ ‪#‎traditional‬ ‪#‎tradition‬ ‪#‎local‬ ‪#‎BonavistaLiving‬ ‪#‎BonavistaWorkshop‬
Photo
Add a comment...
Wait while more posts are being loaded