19 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 5 previous comments
- Hey, I've said this before and I do not want to have to repeat myself, there will be no ad hominem attacks in comments from posts in my stream. If they continue, such comments will be removed! I do not want to have to censor anyone but resorting to such childish tactics is one thing I will not tolerate!May 27, 2012
- , that graph represents federal government spending, not total governmental spending. So it is fairly representative.May 27, 2012
That is why I said it is mis-leading. In the US costs are split by the different levels of government. To only count one part of the spending is to imply that very little money is spent on education when that is not accurate.May 27, 2012
- , considering that local/state governments don't have "military" spending, those who think the graph represents total gov't spending are either ignorant or just plain old stupid. :-P It's not misleading to anyone with a basic knowledge of civics in the USA. ;-)May 27, 2012
- These really aren't apples to apples comparisons. One the one hand we have k-12 education which almost everyone believes is necessary and on the other we have military expenditures which most people don't understand and object to when they do understand them.
Do we really need two military bases in Bulgaria, three in Italy, four in Germany, two in Kuwait, two in Oman, etc, etc, etc? Exactly what is the point of continuing to base troops in Afghanistan and Iraq? A sand shortage?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_military_bases#Joint_overseasMay 27, 2012
- I never made a comment about the usefulness of so many bases overseas. My point is that total government expenditures on education are comparable to total military expenditures.
Military is spending is in fact 4th on the list. Health care, social security, education and military cover $4 trillion in total government spending and all are similar in size which means that military spending is only 25% of the top 4.
To my view it is fortunate that Washington DC is not in charge of all the money. I much prefer local government having more say in the use of education dollars. The military is a superb example of how wasteful the government is at using the tax dollars it gets.May 27, 2012