Iron Fist Season 1 Episode 1: This is not bad. I don't see anything particularly objectionable about this series so far... which is RARE. Interesting data point: it almost passes the Jeffro test. Dude wants kung fu girl's attention and he just can't merit it. Then she spies him beating up security guards that are trying to kill him. This is insufficient. It's only the full Jeffro when the protagonist is consciously facing down a romantic rival. (See Big Trouble in Little China for a hilarious example.) Without the conflicting motives, there's a lot less at stake. So the drama is lessened. Girl here is being played as a peer, not a romantic interest. She's likable for what she is, but interest and investment is lessened. Granted this is just the first episode, but still... it's like we're being teased with these pulled punches.
5 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- Epic waif fu ensues.37w
- At this point when I watch big budget stuff I feel like I am watching a satellite feed from another planet where people eat by stuffing food in their ears and sit on their heads instead of their asses. People on tv generally don't act in any way that resembles what I have observed my whole life. It is tiresome. I haven't watched iron fist, heard it's good. But I just can't anymore.37w
- Everyone is twenty-two in every role of every genre. I'm told only old people watch teevee anymore. This must be why it is succeeding so hard.37w
- I was hoping for no waif fu, given that she trained with weapons. Sad!37w
- Have you seen Marvel's latest Aunt May?37w
- Nope. Worth it?37w
- I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers too loud, if you know what I mean.
Spoiler: It's Marisa Tomei.37w
- She's a very handsome woman.37w