Things you could do to improve diversity in the Python community. (Quoting without permission from a thoughtful post on the Python diversity list; s/Python/Your project/ to suit your taste.)
- At the next Python event you are at, make a point to talk to someone diverse or new.
- Before going to your next Python event, email/call/contact someone diverse from the community and encourage them to meet you there.
- Encourage diverse non-programmers you know to come to Python for beginners events.
- Sit down with a diverse non-programmer and teach them the basics of Python.
- Recommend a diverse Python programmer for a job (even if they already have one).
- Organize a weekend workshop like the "Boston Python Workshop for women and their friends" in your city (feel free to ask for all the documents -- Jessica has made this easy).
- Organize an event for women Python developers (or another diversity group) -- could be a cocktail party, a networking event, a barbeque....
- Run your own meetup event to teach a topic you know, and spread the word to your diverse Python friends to bring a friend (diverse or not -- bringing friends makes everyone feel comfortable).