Recently the USB port of my working laptop is broken. I can not use it without USB because for our development we need to upgrading the image to the board a lot. So i order a sub 100$ mini-ITX bare bone motherboard(with CPU) and a small PC casing online. While waiting for the new PC, i set up my dev unit rock2 sqaure working environment. After the mini-ITX board arrive, i use the memory and SSD from my laptop and install it on the mini-ITX PC. But unforunately, the sub 100$ mother board can not boot anymore suddenly after one day usage(maybe i wired the wrong front panel cable...). So i requested replacement. It takes so many days for them to process it... So i continue to use Rock2 Square as my working PC. After two weeks of using it, here is my report:
My work at radxa is very misc, i need to reply the messages/requests from the website, following up the hardware/software status, projects requests from other companies, need to send the agreements/invoice back and forward. I also need to work on the software development side. Basically Rock2 Square can basically handle all this.
The software i uses daily are:
1. Chromium browser and Iceweasel browser: I use Chromium browser for Gmail, google hangout and googling with vpn extension, i also installed many other extensions such as push bullets. Because there is no ARM version QQ im, which is used a lot in China, i have to use QQ on the phone. I use push bullets to swap information between Rock2 Square and mobile phone. I use Iceweasel browser for local networks such as local git web repository.
2. Mate-Terminal, for development. SSH to the local build server, build the image, scp back and flash to the board with rkflashtool.
3. Libreoffice, to generate invoice, presentation to PDF.
4. Eye of mate image viewer/GIMP photo editor.
Need to point out something:
1. Chromium sometimes fake die, sometimes some tab becomes "He is dead, Jim", this happens more when i am copying big image(1.8G) from network. I usually open a lot of tabs. What am i using is the model A, 2GB ram, which is not enough for nowadays multi tasking.
2. Disk space is limited and slow. 16GB emmc is really not enough, i have to delete the old image before copying the new one or i will get disk full. Scp from network to local emmc is 30MB max speed.
3. Response. I can not feel the lag for menus, task switching, opening folders. Loading documents is fast too. The CPU usage is low most of the time.