A high-altitude balloon launch occurred at 8:45 a.m. HST (11:45 a.m. PDT/2:45 p.m. EDT) on June 28, 2014 with the near-space test flight of the agency's Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator (LDSD). At 11:05 a.m. HST (2:05 p.m. PDT/5:05 p.m. EDT), the LDSD test vehicle dropped away from the balloon as planned and began powered flight. The balloon and test vehicle were about 120,000 feet over the Pacific Ocean at the time of the drop. The vehicle splashed down in the ocean at approximately 11:35 a.m. HST (2:35 p.m. PDT/5:35 p.m. EDT), after the engineering test flight concluded. The test vehicle hardware, black box data recorder and parachute were all recovered later in the day.
This test was the first of three planned for the LDSD project, developed to evaluate new landing technologies for future Mars missions. While this initial test was designed to determine the flying ability of the vehicle, it also deployed two new landing technologies as a bonus. Those landing technologies will be officially tested in the next two flights, involving clones of the saucer-shaped vehicle.
Seen here is the saucer-shaped test vehicle being lifted aboard the Kahana recovery vessel, hours after the June 28, 2014 test of NASA's Low-Density Supersonic Decelerator over the U.S. Navy's Pacific Missile Range.
Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
#ldsd #nasa #space #saucer #flyingsaucer
- Fort Pitt Web ShopPrincipal Developer, 2014 - presentWordPress developer and owner.
- Web Communications GroupSenior Consultant, 2011 - 2014Consultant for small business owners and non profits - focused primarily on broad web support, including: developing and explaining usage metrics, performing platform migrations, building and monitoring ad words campaigns, and WordPress development.
- RANDWeb Producer, 2006 - 2011Lead web technologies manager for the Health research division of the RAND Corporation. The Health research division is the world's most trusted source of objective health policy research.
- University of North Carolina WilmingtonFaculty Librarian, 2004 - 2006Faculty reference desk and information systems computing librarian for UNCW, a campus in the top 5 largest of public university systems in the United States.
- IBMIT Consultant, Global Services, 1999 - 2001Consult with other Fortune 100 companies on implementing IBM-driven technology solutions.
- University of Pittsburgh2000
A Triple Lightning Strike on Three of Chicago's Tallest Buildings
Even by Chicago standards the weather here in the midwestern U.S. has been bizarre and extreme lately. We've seen giant walls of fog caused
Mother, stepfather charged after toddler found in locked car
The mother and stepfather of a toddler found unresponsive inside a locked vehicle in Homewood early this morning have been charged with leav
Pittsburgh 2014 Primary Election Day Guide - I heart PGH
Tomorrow, Tuesday, May 20 is election day in Pennsylvania. The polls are open from 7am to 8pm. Here is what you will find in this post: Find
The Holiday Hot List of festive activities in Pittsburgh
Light and glass blooming at Phipps Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens will be decked with illuminated glass installations, enchanting
MIT Invents A Shapeshifting Display You Can Reach Through And Touch
The Tangible Media Group at MIT's Media Lab has unveiled a futuristic display made of atoms not pixels.
American Classics: Aaron Copland; Billy the Kid; Rodeo; In the Beginning
Shop Google Play on the web. Purchase and enjoy instantly on your Android phone or tablet without the hassle of syncing.
Green News, Energy, Environment, Animals, Climate Change, Extreme Weathe...
Get the latest environment news, explore the hottest green topics of the day and share your opinions on how to make the planet greener and c
The Curiosity Cube Will Turn This Kid Into a Videogame God | Game|Life |...
The "life-changing" secret inside the center of Peter Molyneux's gigantic, curious cube has been revealed, and it will make one lucky teenag
The Food Lab: Why Does Pepperoni Curl? | Slice Pizza Blog
It's time for another round of The Food Lab. Got a suggestion for an upcoming topic? Email Kenji here, and he'll do his best to answer your