- Digital Consultant2009 - presentAssisted and advised news start-ups and other organizations with specialized research, business development and digital strategy.
- The Huffington PostWashington D.C. Editor, 2011 - 2013Launched The Huffington Post's local Washington D.C. edition, managing news operations for the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia working with the D.C. Bureau's staff to coordinate national D.C. coverage of local interest during the 2012 campaign cycle.
- Washington City PaperDeputy Managing Editor, 2010 - 2011Served as deputy managing editor to coordinate the weekly print production; contributed to online news coverage; and worked as interim blogger for the Young & Hungry food and dining blog, and the Loose Lips Daily local D.C. politics blog.
- Roll CallCopy Editor, Writer, Web Producer, 2003 - 2005Worked as copy editor and helped manage production flow for Roll Call's print edition and website; contributed to the K Street Files lobbying column.
- DCist.comFounding Co-Editor, 2004 - 2005Launched the popular local D.C. news site, owned by Gothamist, LLC; edited news coverage, planned early local expansion; and brought together the original group of blog contributors.
- The Washington Post Co.Express Local Editor, Web Editor, 2005 - 2008Edited local coverage for The Washington Post's free commuter daily, Express; helped launch Express' website and local blog; and curated the daily Blog Log in the print edition.
- The New York ObserverDeputy Managing Editor, Politicker.com, 2008 - 2008During the 2008 campaign cycle, helped manage and expand The Observer's Politicker blog network of reporter-bloggers deployed coast-to-coast in 17 states and Washington, D.C.
- Federal Transit AdministrationCosultant, 2002 - 2003Assisted the agency's communications efforts on a post-9/11 transit security and emergency preparedness program; crafted press releases and formal remarks for administrator and deputy administrator; traveled to cities across the nation to meet with key federal, state and local stakeholders.
- Center for Independent MediaEditor, 2009 - 2010Worked as a D.C.-based editor for a team of policy-focused reporter-bloggers in Colorado, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and New Mexico.
Michael E. Grass is an editor, digital planner and project manager based in the District of Columbia. He has served as Washington, D.C. editor for The Huffington Post, deputy managing editor at Washington City Paper; co-founded DCist.com; launched news blogging platforms for The Washington Post Co. and The New York Observer; and worked as a copy editor, writer and web producer for Roll Call.
Grass has consulted for the Federal Transit Administration, online news start-ups and other organizations. A complete professional timeline is available here.
While his family has roots in the District of Columbia dating to the 1860s, Grass also has firm Michigan ties, growing up in East Grand Rapids, attending the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and serving as an editor and reporter for The Michigan Daily.
Grass is a published contributor to “Writing Ann Arbor: A Literary Anthology” (University of Michigan Press. 2005).
- University of Michigan1998 - 2002