Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Julie Mollins
News Editor and Media Manager at International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
News Editor and Media Manager at International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center

Julie's posts

Post has attachment
"Lives Lived" about my Dad in 

Post has attachment

Post has attachment
Stories about my Dad

Post has attachment

Post has attachment
Really nice story remembering my father, Carl Mollins, by Rachel Gray, executive director of +The Stop Community Food Centre -- he loved to donate to the Stop over the years. He loved it the day Rachel came running after him.

Post has attachment
Obituary for my father in +Macleans Magazine 

Post has attachment
Obituary for my father

Post has attachment

Post has attachment

Post has attachment
On Remembrance Day I always remember my grandfather, the late Reverend Harry Mollins, because November 11 was his birthday. 

Born in Melrose, Massachusetts, just before his 20th birthday, Harry enlisted 100 years ago in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, which is a short hop from where he lived with his family in Moncton, New Brunswick.

To mark the centenary, his son Carl published his World War One diaries. My grandfather served as a gunner on the front during some of the major battles, including at Vimy Ridge.

Some excerpts:

Wednesday, October 6, 1915, he enlisted:

Have wanted to enlist for some time, feeling that it is my duty, but several things of importance have held me from doing so. Have about made up my mind to go to Sussex [New Brunswick, 67 km southwest of Moncton] Saturday and enlist there. Heard the Fownes boys were going also. Went to see them today and they informed me that there was an opening for some men in the Siege Battery stationed at Charlottetown, P.E.I., and that they were going over. Skipped school in the afternoon and went to see the recruiting officer from the Battery, who was in town. He said everything was O.K. Was examined by the doctor and prepared to leave on Thursday. Everyone surprised to hear that I was going.

Friday, Oct. 8th, 1915
Went out to camp early this morning. Filled out papers and were then sent to the doctors to be examined. The other Moncton boys of our crowd are, Harry Fownes, Fred Scott, Arthur Stone, Bert Price, Graham Swetnam, and Fred Fownes and Cal McCoy, who have already passed. Went to the doctors in fear and trembling. Could imagine no worse happening than failure to pass the examination. To our great joy however we passed O.K. Went back to camp with glad tidings and were "sworn in." Inoculated and got passes for home. The last was a surprise as we did not expect get home again. Have been stopping at the Revere Hotel.

Sunday, November 28, 1915:
Arose about seven A.M. and found the ship under way. For only a couple of hours was land in sight and then it gradually faded away in the distance and was lost to sight. While I am glad that we are on our way to England to take up our training, and will be even happier when the word comes to proceed to the front, there is also a certain feeling of sadness comes over me as I think that perhaps never again may I see Canada, never again on this earth look upon the faces of those I love. But this feeling passes and I face the future with a cheery heart as I think of that happy day when this terrible war shall have ceased and I return again to home, to friends and loved ones. So, Canada, “Till we meet again, Farewell.”

And here are some entries from the Battle of Vimy Ridge in 1917:

Thursday, April 5 Weather: Fine

Carrying ammunition to the No. 4 gun all day. We are getting a reserve store ready for the “strafe” which “comes off” in a few days. Aeroplanes very active today.

Good Friday, April 6 Weather: Rain

On duty at the guns all day. Did considerable firing. Mailed letters to Walter Ryder & Grandma and Grandpa Duncan. A “Fritz” plane brought down one of ours, in flames, this evening. He then came right over toward our battery after another, but was driven off by our planes.

Saturday, April 7 Weather: Fine

On ammunition fatigues all day. Did considerable firing. Had to take a count of all the shells et cetera. A “Fritz” plane brought down one of our observation balloons this morning. It came down in flames. Letter from Mrs. Blackmore this evening & Easter cards from Mrs. Morton and Marcella Mollins of Moncton. On the guns all night. Fired 123 rounds.

Easter Sunday, April 8 Weather: Fine

Easter Sunday and a beautiful day. Nothing of importance happened. A few German shells dropped around the position. Our infantry goes over tomorrow in an attempt to capture Vimy Ridge. Expect it will be a big day.

Easter Monday, April 9 Weather: Fine

On fatigues all day. This is the day of the big “strafe.” There was a heavy bombardment at 5:30 a.m. and the infantry went over from Vimy Ridge to the right. Large numbers of prisoners and guns were taken. Vimy Ridge fell into our hands. Parties of prisoners passed our position all day. All seemed glad to have been captured. Our casualties were not very heavy. Nice parcel from mother this evening containing fountain pen, cake, candy, etc.

Tuesday, April 10 Weather: Fine

On the guns all day. Very quiet this morning. We started firing about 11:30 A.M. and from then till six fired 215 rounds. The infantry went over again this afternoon & gained their objective. More prisoners & guns were taken. The reports are very encouraging, in fact, too much so. However, everybody is very happy over the good results. “Fritz” put quite a few shells quite near our position today. USA has entered the war on the side of the Allies.

Wednesday, April 11 Weather: Rain

On ammunition fatigues today. Had an easy day. “Fritz” shelled quite heavily today. Everything is still going favorably for us. Everyone is jubilant. We expect to be moving forward in a few days. On the guns all night. No firing up till twelve o’clock. Snowing very heavily this evening. “Fritz” shelled in this vicinity.
An ammunition dump of the No. 2 “Heavies” was blown up.

Thursday. April 12 Weather: Snow & Rain

We were called out at 3:30 A.M. and fired twenty rounds. At 5 A.M. there was a twenty minutes “strafe.” It was snowing and blowing something awful & very cold. Our infantry went over & gained their objective, and captured 600 prisoners. Off duty all day. It is reported this evening that 12,000 prisoners have been taken south of Arras, also 400 guns.
USA has declared war on Germany and severed relations with Austria. It is rumored the Argentine & Brazil are at war with Germany & have seized all Hun shipping in their ports.

Friday, April 13 Weather: Fine & warm

Easy day. A very interesting report of operations to date was posted this morning. Wancourt & Heeinel have been captured. The Hindenberg Line has been cleared 2,000 yds. south of Cojeul. The 1st Army (which includes the Canadians) has captured 4,000 prisoners, 33 guns, 112 Machine guns & 40 Trench Mortars. The Third Army on our right has captured 7,526 prisoners, 126 guns, 113 Machine guns, 44 Trench Mortars. The guns captured include 8”, 5.9”, 4.5” & field guns. “Fritz” has retired and our infantry is after him. Got orders to move this evening.

The following morning, the Canadian artillery unit began moving a few kilometres to a battlefront near the villages of Souchez and Carency, where, on Monday, April 16, the Canadian gunners re-engaged German artillery. The diary says:

“While we were firing the Huns burst two shrapnel [shells] right over the gun. No one was hurt. Spent the night in an old cellar, which we cleaned out. We dug up two skeletons in the debris.”

That evening, the diary notes, he received another Easter greeting card from home. It was to be almost 19 months before the war ended—on Harry Mollins’s 23rd birthday.


Back home in Moncton, he worked for a time as manager of the furniture section of the local Eaton’s department store and polished his reputation as a baritone soloist in the city’s Baptist church and other choirs.

In the 1920s, he married Vera Grace Nickerson, gained B.A. and B.D. degrees at Acadia University in Wolfville, N.S., and became minister of the Baptist church in nearby Windsor, N.S.

He later served ministries in Ottawa (Fourth Avenue Baptist Church, 1933-1939) and in Brantford, Ont. (Park Baptist Church, 1939-1945, where his first sermon was given on the first day of World War II, Sunday, September 3, 1939) before the final 10 weeks of his life in Toronto (College Street Baptist Church) after the end of World War II.

Compiled by Carl Mollins, son of Harry

Wait while more posts are being loaded