So, I haven't been writing much lately as I'm in the process of moving my blog from Posterous over to Pelican, a static site generator written in Python.
Initially, I thought this would be a fairly quick process...
Posterous stores my posts in HTML format, and hosts my images on Amazon S3. I wrote a script which downloaded each post in it's raw HTML format, all the images, and then used the pandoc tool to convert the HTML documents into Markdown (for use with Pelican).
Unfortunately, due to oddities in the way Posterous handles their HTML stuff, this didn't make for a clean conversion.
As I have written over 129 posts on my blog over the years, most in long-form with images, code, etc.--this means I've got to go through each post manually with Vim, cleaning up things, fixing meta tags, downloading my images and renaming them, etc.
It's been quite a nightmare.
I'm currently still working on converting all my posts into Markdown. I've finished about 45 posts so far, so I've got somewhere around 100 posts left to go.
The only relief I feel in going through this boring, tedious process is knowing that once it's done, my content will be completely decoupled from my blog engine for the rest of my life.
Instead of pairing my writing with a particular platform, I'm version controlling my writing separately, and using site engines as a plug-in for displaying the content.
Anyhow, if you're at all interested in this sort of thing, feel free to follow along with my GitHub progress: