When I have the knowledge and the time, trolls are hilarious! Feeding them relevant information, documentation and links don't make them feel satisified, of course - quite to the contrary - but the audience will enjoy the show and have a healthy laugh at how the troll is being baited, over and over, all while being hilariously wrong.
Then, a few practical suggestions:
1) Don't get overworked. Responding to every bit of troll-rubbish is a waste.
2) Keep cool. Keeping your temper in face of trolling shows great character.
3) Keep cool. You can't rationally out-emotion trolls anyway.
4) Feed sparingly, with facts and links. Trolls won't read them, but the audience will.
5) Trolls can't be convinced. The audience is the real target, they will listen quietly.
Ridiculing and discrediting trolls will, in my experience, minimize trolling. If you have useful knowledge to share, the (much larger) audience will benefit as well.