Start a hangout
Worked at Freelance at major studios and scoring stages worldwide, including Los Angeles, New York City, London and the Skywalker Ranch.
Attended Indiana University
Lives in Los Angeles, Calif.
pianist, keyboardist, composer, arranger and orchestrator
Alan Steinberger is a first-call studio musician, principal keyboardist with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra and the Pasadena Symphony, and a regular with many jazz ensembles, theatre companies and choral groups. Alan has served as a sub or extra with virtually every LA-area orchestra, and accompanied a wide variety of artists including Jessye Norman, Andrea Bocelli, Michael Crawford and Seth MacFarlane.
Some familiar projects include:
- arranger, orchestrator and pianist for the Sony PlayStation 3 video games Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. Uncharted 2 won virtually every award including AIAS and BAFTA for best video game score of 2009.
- composer for the Pageant of the Masters, Laguna Beach
- piano soloist on the Academy Award-winning documentary March of the Penguins
- pianist on the Emmy Award-winning television film Temple Grandin
- arranger and piano soloist for the gold album Winterlude
More or less recent motion pictures (all as keyboardist):
- Jersey Boys
- The Book Thief (John Williams)
- No Place on Earth (John Piscitello)
- Monsters University (Randy Newman)
- Toy Story 3 (Randy Newman)
- The Adventures of Tintin (John Williams)
- Tangled (Alan Menken)
- The Princess and the Frog (Randy Newman)
- A Christmas Carol (Alan Silvestri)
- Firefly (orchestrator, keyboardist, add’l composing)
- King of the Hill (orchestrator, keyboardist, add’l composing)
- The Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad (all as keyboardist)
- composer of award-winning spots for Honda and Nike
- solo pianist on the 2010 Apple MacBook Air ad
A few unusual distinctions:
- named a Freunde des Hauses Bösendorfer
- recognized by Dr. Amar Bose as a Bose Corp. Live Music Pioneer
- featured as Tangled's one-handed thug who dreams of becoming a concert pianist
- caricatured on the Warner Bros. cartoon The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries
Able to read virtually any film or TV cue at sight.
- Indiana University
I’ve been called everything from a genius to a few terms rather less complimentary. Several people refer to me as “Save-My-Butt-Alan”.
pianist/keyboardist, composer, arranger and orchestrator
- Freelance at major studios and scoring stages worldwide, including Los Angeles, New York City, London and the Skywalker Ranch.
- Hollywood Bowl OrchestraPrincipal Keyboards
- Pasadena Symphony | Pasadena PopsPrincipal Keyboards
Los Angeles, Calif.
Poughkeepsie, N.Y. - Nashville, Tenn. - Bloomington, Ind.