Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Amanda Goodman
77 followers -
User Experience Librarian
User Experience Librarian

77 followers
About
Amanda's posts

Post has shared content
Los Angeles Public Library
Innovation Leadership Program (ILP)
Resident Announcement

Introduction
The Innovation Leadership Program at the Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) has secured private funding through the Library Foundation of Los Angeles to launch and operate a two-year residency program.  The goals of the project are to (1) encourage the best M.L.I.S. graduates to become public librarians by providing them with real world experience in a major urban library, and (2) create a strong executive leadership experience for mid-level librarians who will be the next generation of public library leaders.

Program Objective
The Los Angeles Public Library seeks two recent library school graduates (Residents), who wish to gain real world experience in public librarianship in a major urban library and who have an interest in developing a special project that will help position LAPL in the forefront of public library innovations. This is a paid two-year full-time Resident position.

Qualifications
A recent M.L.I.S. graduate from an ALA-accredited library or information school, who will have graduated between January 1, and December 31, 2012. This position is ideal for a person who is passionate about and has creative ideas regarding the public library’s role in the 21st century.

Duties and Responsibilities
An Innovation Leadership Resident, serving under the supervision of an Innovation Leadership Fellow (Senior Librarian), will spend the first year rotating among four (4) library departments and/or branch libraries to gain a comprehensive overview of LAPL. Following the rotational phase of the residency, the Resident and Fellow will together develop a special project that benefits the Library and its communities. This innovation project will then be implemented during the second year of the residency.

During the residency, the Resident will be expected to perform 60% of the typical duties of an entry level librarian, including, but not limited to, reference, programming, outreach and collection development.  The remaining 40% of the time will be spent on completing Innovation Leadership Program tasks, attending assigned meetings, and developing and implementing, in collaboration with the Fellow, a special project that tackles a key area of 21st-century public librarianship. 

Other desirable characteristics
Exceptional interpersonal skills; demonstrated interest in developing a career in public libraries; teamwork and/or ability to collaborate; adaptability and tolerance for ambiguity in a rapidly changing environment; evidence of strong interest in emerging information technologies; commitment to user-centered customer service; commitment to and/or experience working with culturally diverse communities; self-directed; innovative; and demonstrated problem-solver.

Position & Duration:
Successful applicants will be hired by the Library Foundation of Los Angeles as at-will full-time employees at $60,000 per year and an excellent benefit package. In addition, $2,000 a year is available for each Resident to attend professional development seminars and conferences, plus a budget of $6,000 for each special project. There are currently two full-time paid positions open. The appointment will run from January 2013 to December 2014. Employment with LAPL is not guaranteed following this position.

To Apply
Please email your application to ILP@lapl.org by November 19, 2012. A complete application includes your name, telephone number, résumé (with graduation date), and a short application essay (two pages maximum) demonstrating why you are the best candidate, along with possible innovative project ideas that would benefit LAPL. The Library Foundation of Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for all positions. Please contact ILP project manager Cindy Mediavilla at 213/228-7513 or cmediavilla@lapl.org if you have questions.

Post has shared content
Pluto would like to be a planet again, please!
Another great find!@NASA_Hubble finds a fifth moon circling the dwarf planet, Pluto!

Post has attachment
The best webcam out there right now! 

Post has shared content

I've +1 several things here on Google Plus. However, I cannot find a comprehensive list of all these items. It is not in my Profile under +1. Any ideas of where to find it?

Post has attachment

Post has shared content
What last-in-a-lifetime event is in less than 5 days? It's #VenusTransit and it won’t happen again until 2117  http://go.nasa.gov/Jzso19

Post has shared content

Post has attachment
Someone sure knows how to time the flowers around this town...
Photo

Post has shared content
Wait while more posts are being loaded