was a computer scientist.
He is known for Dijkstra's algorithmStructured programmingThe multiprogramming system
He received the 1972 Turing Award for fundamental contributions to developing programming languages, and was the Schlumberger Centennial Chair of Computer Sciences at The University of Texas at Austin from 1984 until 2000.
before his death in 2002, he received the ACM PODC Influential Paper Award in distributed computing for his work on self-stabilization of program computation. This annual award was renamed the Dijkstra Prize the following year, in his honor.Awards
1. Member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (1971)
2. Distinguished Fellow of the British Computer Society (1971)
The Association for Computing Machinery's A.M. Turing Award (1972)
3. Harry H. Goode Memorial Award from the IEEE Computer Society (1974).
4. Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (1975)
5. Doctor of Science Honoris Causa from the Queen's University Belfast (1976)
6. Computer Pioneer Charter Recipient from the IEEE Computer Society (1982)
7. Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (1994)
8. Honorary doctorate from the Athens University of Economics & Business, Greece (2001).
9. Comp and Communications Prize (NEC Foundation), Japan (2002)Stay tuned for more programming quotes.
Join +I'm Programmer
if you are a programmer. #programming #quotes #debugging