Where technology actually does make a difference: Africa
(And people there don't even need tablets for that.)
* "Mobile telephony is a true revolution in a country where the landline was restricted to a few families."
* "Technology in Africa is foremost about solving problems rather than sharing social trivia, about survival rather than entertainment"
* "In the world's poorest continent, only one in three people has access to electricity – but far more than that have a mobile phone."
* "Africa is the fastest growing region for mobiles in the world, and the biggest after Asia"
* "Mobiles overcome some of the endemic problems that have stifled progress on the continent: poor infrastructure (both in transport and power transmission), sparsely populated rural areas and widespread poverty."
* "In east Africa, mobile money is used as frequently as paper money; the region accounts for four-fifths of the world's transactions."http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/30/africa-digital-revolution-mobile-phones